20 Gallon Sarcophyton-dominant Tank

Discussion in '40gal and Under' started by CenlaReefer, Aug 12, 2017.

1. CenlaReefer

CenlaReefer Harlequin Tusk LARC Supporter

Some months ago, I transitioned everything from my 10 gallon sarcophyton-dominant to this new 20 gallon tank. Here is my old thread about the 10 gallon system:

http://lareefclub.com/community/threads/sarcophyton-dominant-10-gallon.45913/page-3#post-460019

The newer 20 gallon system looks less full because of the size upgrade and because I got rid of some mushrooms because they were too stinky (literally). My wife complained of the smell when I did water changes. Getting rid of many of them actually made a big difference in the smell.

I will plan to keep you all posted with picture updates. I do not plan to change the lighting or aquascape much for some years. Some of the toadstools like the yellow Fiji look better with more natural light. Others are more attractive with more blue light. I am currently using an AI Prime HD light over the tank with a small, cheap strip of natural daylight LEDS on the left side to help the yellow Fiji color up more yellow. The cheap lights are from Tetra that I got from WalMart.

This 20 gallon tank and my 20 gallon frag tank are both plumbed together to share a common 30 gallon sump. Neither tank nor the sump have any fish ever since the last LARC meet when I got rid of my last fish. I am going fishless for a while to prepare for a possible move to New Jersey by the end of the year.

I would like to add some toadstools or other softies later after the move. I especially hope to add a toadstool with extra long polyps one day.

Here is a pic of the new 20 gallon tank from last week:

toadstools 8-10-17.JPG

2. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Administrator LARC Supporter

Looks good, Kevin!

CenlaReefer and BluewaterLa like this.
  3. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

This is one of my favorite tanks to look at, I have a embedded liking for leathers from the beginning of my coral keeping experiences.
    There was a period of time where I went back to keeping live rock and fish only, eventually I put a couple leathers in the system to satisfy the coral need.

Tank looks great Kevin. I wish you luck with the move and hope you and your family remain happy where ever you guys call home.

4. CenlaReefer

- I was disappointed that it is not as full-looking as the 10 gallon. Once it fills in more, it should be much more attractive. Thanks for the best wishes! I will keep you all updated when I find out in October if we move or not. Even if we move, I would love to keep an account on LARC if the moderators do not mind.

BluewaterLa likes this.
  5. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Administrator LARC Supporter

Not only do we not mind, but we INSIST that you continue to use LARC no matter where you move to. ;)

BluewaterLa and CenlaReefer like this.
  6. BluewaterLa

plus one man, I agree that no matter where you transplant to you will always have a home on Larc.

Humblefish likes this.
  7. CenlaReefer

Mike, this is a close-up picture of that really nice toadstool that I got on a good deal from you a while back. It has a very distinct polyps. I remember that it was a pinkish tint when you had in your system:

IMG_0192.JPG

BluewaterLa likes this.
  8. BluewaterLa

Thats a really nice leather and I agree the polyps are very nice and wispy at the end almost feather like.
    The mother colony is still doing great in my tank and has gotten huge. This thing started out as a small dark brown blob of goo on the side of a small piece of live rock about 5 to 6 years ago, I would say the size of a pencil eraser but flat.
    I had a feeling it was a type of soft coral so I kept it in a small cube tank at the time and within a month or two a single polyp emerged from the goo.
    After three polyps were grown out I was able to identify it as a toad stool and my wife liked the little goo even more as she got to watch it grow from basically nothing.
    Now in the 210 it has sprouted two more babies right near the stalk, not sure if this was fallen tissue or polyp bail out that resulted in the the new additions
    I will have to get a good picture of it now and look into my phone for a comparison photo and post it for you to look at.

Yours looks great and healthy. Seems to be getting some green color to the top mantle, mine did this for a time when light intensity/ spectrum was low in the area the leather was placed. Under higher light intensity the pink really starts to come out and shine in this toadstool.
    Have you noticed your leather polyps feeding on particulate foods/ matter like reef chilie ? Mine feeds similar to Xenia pulsing, when the food it likes contacts the polyps they close bringing the food into the middle, really neat to watch as most leathers seem not to respond to foods like this one does.

9. CenlaReefer

Thanks Mike!

I do not plan to increase the intensity or change the spectrum of the lighting for quite some time. I guess I could put some more supplemental blue on the right side. I am not going to be heartbroken if it never turns pinkish again. I like it as-is. Still, these corals would be great in a 40 breeder or other spread-out tank with varied lighting in 4 or more regions. The exact same corals would take on 3-4 different colorations in the different regions of the same tank. Perhaps that is a project for the distant future.

I occasionally spot-feed my toadstools a really fine, liquid stuff all mixed together: Kent Phytoplankton, Reef Roids, Reef Chili, & finely smashed-up Fauna Marin LPS pellets. Sometimes I just broadcast dose the Kent liquid when I am in a hurry. That has allowed a nice pod population to develop in this softie tank. I notice an excellent feeding response when I spot feed the Kent liquid Phytoplankton diluted in some saltwater from the tank. Normally fish poop dissolved in the water is fine for these corals; however, I have been without fish since June.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017 at 4:43 PM
    BluewaterLa likes this.