225 gallon aquarium in the works (5 year old thread)

Discussion in 'The Showroom' started by Anonymous, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Well its official, my family is getting transfered to houston at the end of this semester. Since we will be getitng a new home, we will have a chance to get a much larger tank.

After deciding on which size would be good, we settled on a 225 gallon aquarium (72"x30"x24") It will have two external overflow boxes with 1.5" drain holes. We will most likely be getting the aquarium from miracles in glass in canada. Attatched is a picture of a tank similar.

For the stand, I contacted Sean on reefcentral. He said he would be willing to build me a stand and canopy. Some of you may know him, he has a beautiful 240 gallon 1" acrylic cube with no bracing. Attatched are a few pics of his work.

For a sump I will be using a 40 gallon breeder. I was thinknign about going with a reef sump from my reefcreations, but it was only 2 inches taller and the height of the tank doesnt matter much in a sump since it is usually filled about half way. The sump will incorporate a refugium and a few baffles. I will also drill it for external pumps etc. Going this way will save me alot of money as well.

The main tank will have a 1"-2" SSB. The reason i am gonna do sand is because it looks so beautiful. I have seen so many more nice SPS tanks with a SSB than tanks with BB. I do like barebottom, but it looks too sterile for me.

For lighing im am thinkning about using 4 250watt metal halides on icecap ballasts. I am going to use either XM or reflux bulbs. I will also have 4 VHO actinics for supplemntation.

Filtration will consist of my current skimmer (MRC MR-2R), a GEO kalk reactor, and a GEO calcium reactor. I will also have a fuge with a little sand and pieces of rubble and macro algeas. I will also have around 200-300 punds of live rock, alsong with the live sand. Ozone will also be dosed through the skimmer, and an emporer aquatics UV sterilizer will also be on the tank.

Water movement will be provided by two tunze 6100's on a multicontroller and a tunze 6080. I might add another tunze in the future. A fair amount of cirulation will be provided via the return pump.

Thats about all I can think of right now.

Miracles In Glass Tank

[​IMG]

Seans Cube with custom stand
    [​IMG]

Some of seans work
    [​IMG]

-Mike

2. Is he sonofgaladrial or something like that on rc? He has done some beautiful work. Didn't take you long to get the big tank after all :D . Why are you going with just a 40 breeder for a sump? Is it because of space? Did you have to concede the sand since it is going to be in the family room?
    Sean

3. Yes he goes by sonofgaladrial on reefcentral.Im going with a 40 breeder because the original sump i was going with (50 gallons) was only 2 inches taller but was around $385 before shipping. We got a 40 breeder last night at petco for $90. Also, I didnt think I would be able to have a hue sump because everything has to fit under the stand since it is going to be in the family room. It seems everyone in the family really lieks sand, and I think i can deal with it so yes the sand is mostly for looks. When people come over they always say, wheres the sand? lol.

-Mike

4. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Mike,

That's what I wound up using for my sump too. I almost bought that same exact sump you are talking about from MRC, but couldn't justify spending nearly $400 for just a sump that I could build for around $120-150 with a AGA 40 breeder with glass cut by a glass shop. I think it will work out fine.

Good luck with the move.

I was watching that guy's thread on RC with the cube. The stand he made for the cube is absolutely gorgeous.

5. Sorry to hear that you and your family have to go west. The new tank plans sound incredible. That guy does awsome stand work. Love the mahogony.

Do us a favor and keep posting here when you get it rolling. It'd be great to see how it turns out.

6. thanks for the kind remarks guys :o

heres some "progress"- carboard baffles lol. Im getting glass cut somtime this week and hope to drill it as soon as I get my drill bit.

Front view of sump

[​IMG]

-mike

7. Its been forever since my last post. Heres an update on the tank! Cant wait to set this beast up in Houston around early June.

construction of the stand has begun!

top front view
    [​IMG]

Front view
    [​IMG]

Back view
    [​IMG]

I will Have some pics of the trim work saturday night.

I also received notice that my tank order has been put in at miracles. So I should be getting some construction pics in the next few days.

-Mike

8. This thread is a little slow. But we are some good making progress.

The Stand is coming along nicely.

Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all for now. I will update you guys as I get more pics from Sean!

-Mike

9. If you don't mind, what did he quote you for the stand? His work is just astounding.
    Sean

10. SeanJen,

I can PM you if you really want to know! lol. The crating and shipping is going to be the expensive part.

He lives in Lenexa Kansas, so he is going to frieght it to me. This project is soo much fun!

-Mike

11. His design is so sweet it makes me want to start on another tank building project ... and I'm struggling to stock what I already have :lol:

12. here are some updated pictures of the stand/canopy. The canopy fram has been completed, and some more trim work has been done aswell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all for now! Goodnight!

-Mike

13. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

what type of wood is that? It looks awesome when its stained

14. It is skinned in birch The sain will be 'warm walnut'

-Mike

15. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

I wish my birch turned out like that!

16. I am really beginning to think If a larger sump would be better for me. I already have the 40 breeder drilled, so I could use it as a frag tank, quarantine tank etc etc.... I am thinking about getting a nice acrylic sump. Melev on RC (www.melevsreef) Does alot of work with sumps and even builds them for sale. He can basically build anything, and I have heard good things about his work. Hisfront cost isnt really that bad either, compared to the MRC sump I was looking at alot earlier.

If this is going to be a tank that we would like to have for a while, we should really try to do everything right. I would rather put in the right sump firt then having to take out the old and replace with a new. Lemme tell ya it is a lot of work!!! I did it before with my 58 and it was a nightmare. I even ended up having my livestock crash in the holding tank when i was away for a day. Dont want that to happen again.....

I might as well do it the right way, so I only have to do it once.

BTW, that lifereef sump is sexy 8) I have been following your thread, and am as excited as seeing your tank set up and stocked as I am with mine.

Thanks for the comments guys!

-Mike

17. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Gary,

Have you fired up the skimmer at all just to test it out -- I know you're not set up and running yet, but was just wondering what you thought of its bubble generating capacity -- or do you know anyone local who is currently using one? I will eventually have to upgrade my skimmer for the larger tank, and have been looking at the LifeReef...it's by no means a "new technology" like some of the needlewheel skimmers like Deltec, or the Beckett MRC's, but, I am wondering if it is a high efficiency, tried and true skimmer that is capable of pulling a lot of nasty stuff out of the water every day. Let me know what kind of results you get.

Thanks,

Kirk

18. I too have also been curious about lifereef skimmers. Let us know how it works out for you!

-Mike

19. Almost all the trim work is done. Should be done in about a week!

front view
    [​IMG]

angle view
    [​IMG]

another angle view
    [​IMG]

close up of trim work and columns
    [​IMG]

-Mike

20. Im going to be using PFO HQI 250 watt Halide ballasts. I will have a total of 3 of them on Luminarc III reflectors. I am going to run XM 10k bulbs. I am also going to run two 72" VHO actinic bulbs also on a PFO ballast.

The stain color is a little different from his stain. He used a red mohogany stain, on my tank I choose the 'warm walnut' stain that he showed me on some previous work he did. Here is a picture:

[​IMG]

The stain above is on adler wood, so on the white birch wood (used in my stand/canopy) Sean said it will be just a tad bit lighter. I think it will fit perfect in the new tank room.

-Mike