29g Anemone Tank

Discussion in 'The Showroom' started by Travis, May 14, 2006.

1. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

Hey guys, what's up?

I am in the process of setting up a 29g anemone tank, and I though I would share some pictures of the build and later somje of the completed tank once it is stocked and all.

So far I have drilled the CLS returns and fitted them with bulkheads and locline. I need to drill another hole at the bottum for the intake. I am thinking a Mag 5 or 7 for the Closed loop, and it will be run on a Squid SCWD.
    Here's a picture of the full set up thus far.
    [​IMG]

For the overflow, I plan on cutting a hole to fit a 1 1/4" bilkhead in the top center and place a servace skimmer around it. It will end up looking somthing like this.
    [​IMG]

For the sump, I plan on getting the glass cut at my LGS and completly using the bottum of the stand as one large sump. I am planning on haveing a very large Fuge filled with a DSB, Live Rock, and Cheato. I will also have a media rack some where so I can run carbon. I don't think that I will need to run a skimmer if I have a rather large Fuge, unless you all think otherwise? For the return I am thinking a Mag7 plumbed to a Squid SCWD and have the retuens hang on the back of the tank.
    Here's a MS Paint drawing of what I would like to accomplish with the sump.
    [​IMG]

For lighting I have a ballast for two 96w/65w PC bulbs. I am probably going to add a 150w MH to the mix also.
    [​IMG]

Ok for this tank's livestock I am thinking...
    A RBTA
    a pair of Brown Saddleback clowns (I saw one at my LFS and OMG, beautiful fish)
    I also want alot of Zoanthids, Mushrooms, and a variety of LPS corals.
    I want to also keep several other types of fish, but I don't know which ones yet.

So....what do you guys think?

2. shivametimbas

shivametimbas Spiny Star Astraea

looks good so far.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was just talking to my dad the other day about an anemone tank, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out. Looks good so far. 8)

4. Travis

Well, this tank will be more of an Anemone "Friendly" tank. The tank will be like a reef tank, but it will have a central focus on the Anemone. That's why I called it an Anemone Tank :)

5. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Travis,

What are your plans for keeping the anemone off the intake to your closed loop?

Thanks,

Kirk

6. Travis

The Closed loop intake will be on the back wall, center, bottum with live rock covering the strainer. I have serious doubts that the nem will be even able to get to the intake unless it just wants to die. I am going to make that area of the rock structure very tight.

7. Travis

I got the glass for my sump today.

[​IMG]

The sump messures 28Lx10Wx13H and when it is in full opperation it will hold 8.5 gallons.

I won't be able to start working on it because I am leaveing to vacation in Orlando, Fl on Sunday and won't be back untill the following Saturday.

Also, what type of Silacone should I use to seal it?

8. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

GE silicone II for doors and windows

9. Travis

Thanks

10. Travis

I put the glass pannels in place but I didn't glue them so here are a few pictures (the baffles arn't in there yet)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also need to seal the inside of the stand. Suggestions on a sealent for the wood?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

spiffy. Latex caulk is good for wood. Just don't use it in the system. It's got anti-mold and mildew stuff in it.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What kind of wood is that? Looks like laminated particle board. I'm guessing that polyurethane would do the trick but someone may know better. Whatever you seal it with, don't skimp. Cover the entire interior surface with several coats. Particle board has nasty chemicals that you wouldn't want leaching out into your sump. After that I would seal the seams with silicone.

My son (Clownin Around) and I have built several cages for his Green Tree Pythons out of MDF using vinyl contact paper. These are high-humidity environments and the vinyl works very well. I don't know if it would adhere very well to sealed particle board, but it's something you may want to consider. Might be overkill, but one good spill or splash and that particle board or MDF will be ruined and any extra protection can't hurt.