300 Build

Discussion in 'The Showroom' started by The GOB, Sep 19, 2017.

1. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

I would be nervous treating my tank with Prazi, not that it will stay active in the water and Carbon would remove it, I just do not think I would use this treatment in a stocked tank with plenty of other worm critters that could die off causing an issue.
    Though I do know that your tank is relatively fresh and without said worm critters to die off causing issue.

did you consider using Salifert Flat worm exit Or was the Prazi the more effective or safe treatment for your tank ??
    I also wonder if some type of fish feeds on them well enough to wipe them out or keep numbers down.
    I have a book that covers Acoles among some other similar species pretty well that I am trying to locate in my attic, this is an older paperback book given to me by an old salt from florida years back. Of course some of the information is outdated but there is some interesting info none the less.

2. The GOB

The GOB Harlequin Tusk

Used prazi in the tank before with no issues. Carbon/ water change take care of it. Soft corals don’t seem to like it but they always perk back up. If the tank had was a fully stocked established reef I’d be a little more hesitant but there’s only a handful of worms other than the Acoels that could die.

I’m not a fan of Flatworm exit. I’ve used it in the past and it wipes out flatworms(at 2x dosage) but also decimates pod populations. Brittle stars and brisleworms seem to be paralyzed by it but recover after water change.

All that said, the Prazi didn’t seem to do anything to the Acoels. I’m just going to randomly siphon them out until I can get a wrasse to control the population. The all hang tend to hang out in the same spot so siphoning isn’t that difficult

BluewaterLa likes this.
  3. The GOB

The GOB Harlequin Tusk

Few more weeks before I can add fish but managed to snag an established Mag for the tank.

E88280BB-4599-4528-AC4C-1FE085DC4397.jpeg

BluewaterLa and GPReefer like this.
  4. Stoned

Stoned Ko-Ko Worm LARC Supporter POTQ Winner

Blue Zoo just posted Majestic Angel for $150

5. The GOB

The GOB Harlequin Tusk

Back from second Mexico trip and all fish are surprisingly still alive. The tank needs a mag float working but otherwise looks good. Added a pair of black molllies to the DT last night and so far no spots are showing. Fingers crossed...

I’m Mexicoed out for at least a year but sure do miss the 80 degree days of this
    95B9ADB1-90B6-44D2-B8EA-B04E5A890828.jpeg
    Filled with these
    6E5F1E13-A7E4-473F-944A-26F69B156F94.jpeg

6. GPReefer

GPReefer Let the Fin Begin! Administrator LARC Supporter POTM Winner

Ha! Looks like high maintenance to me. :)

Redfish and BluewaterLa like this.
  7. BluewaterLa

Nice to know that your tank is still kicking and the fish are doing well.
    Remember when adding the mollies to your tank it may take a good week or two before they show any signs of Ick or Velvet even though they do not have any immunity to the saltwater versions.
    Good luck and let us know what happens.

Side note, the lady in the picture above, Is that the boss lady ? OR part of the beautiful scenery where you were staying ?

8. The GOB

The GOB Harlequin Tusk

She was staying at the same resort. She was with an older, fatter,and balder version of John Daly. It's funny, I've been busting my ace on the rowing machine to stay somewhat physically fit and the whole time the babes are looking for the complete opposite. Time for king cake and the couch!

BluewaterLa and clsanchez77 like this.
  9. GPReefer

GPReefer Let the Fin Begin! Administrator LARC Supporter POTM Winner

Girls like that are looking for deep pockets. Doesn’t matter what the guys look like. As long as they have lots of dough, a yacht and like to buy extravagant gifts. :)

BluewaterLa likes this.
  10. Stoned

Stoned Ko-Ko Worm LARC Supporter POTQ Winner

I was told a long time ago that Barbie dolls are expensive. LOL

GPReefer and BluewaterLa like this.
  11. bowfrontreefer Peppermint Shrimp

Maybe it was her uncle lol

BluewaterLa likes this.
  12. The GOB

The GOB Harlequin Tusk

We were thinking he was some Russian billionaire. They were hilarious to watch. Whenever he was around she was on her phone chainsmoking the entire time. He leaves and her coverall thing comes off (revealing a dental floss suit) and she's dancing it up with all the buff Latin guys.

GPReefer and BluewaterLa like this.
  13. BluewaterLa

You guys are too much hahaha. Good read / entertainment

So how was the trip ?
    did you get to snorkel or dive while out that way ?

GPReefer likes this.
  14. The GOB

The GOB Harlequin Tusk

Pretty good time but two trips that close together was a bit much. Wifey didn't seem to mind back to back but I missed the pups and tanks.

We stayed at the Riu Palace Mexico in Playa Del Carmen this time. It's a gated community inside a gated community so we felt pretty safe the whole time. We didn't do any paid excursions like we have in the past. We snorkled the area around the resort and saw some monster schools of Permits, Sergeant Majors, and a number of unidentified silver fish. The macro algae is what caught my eye. Hypnea(blue ochtodes), Bryothamnion sp, and H. gibessi were available by the truck loads. I really wanted to bring some back in wet paper towels but wasn't sure how that would work in my carry on.

Based on our past few trips I'd rate--- Isla Mujeres > Playa Del Carmen > Playa Mujeres > Cancun > Cozumel. We're not really into the club/party scene though.

BluewaterLa likes this.
  15. The GOB

The GOB Harlequin Tusk

Tank update. Added the surviving 3 Hippos, Naso, and 3 dwarf angels back to the tank a few weeks back. The Hippos celebrated the return home by immediately killing the black mollies.

Have started replacing some of the fish I lost and added to the DT(after Qt)- juvenile Emperor and Blueface angels, Bi-color angel, Purple Tang, Foxface, and Midas Blenny. There was a Neon Dottyback but I accidentally crushed it while moving rocks around after the Mag went for a walk. Still have a handful of fish on the stock list but am planning to get them from @Humblefish once his shop is up and running.

BluewaterLa and Humblefish like this.
  16. dbraun15 Neon Goby

Looking good! Any other prize nems in the future?

17. The GOB

The GOB Harlequin Tusk

LA had regular tan Gigs this week and I nearly pulled the trigger but I'm going to hold out for a blue or green. On BZ's email alert for both and check RC/2R classifieds daily for that slim chance someone is selling one.

18. The GOB

The GOB Harlequin Tusk

Large angels figured out that they're not reef safe. Blueface is picking at large green palys, Litophyton, and Knopia sp. The Emperor is going after the "yellow polyps". So far Xenias and leathers are being ignored,

The Blueface has started its color change and yellow is starting to show on the face and fins. Would like to get some pics to document the time frame for the change but that SOB is skittish and goes into the rocks as soon as I get close.

BluewaterLa likes this.
  19. reefMD

reefMD Neon Goby

I've read the large angels are basically not reefsafe. Seems the best luck is with the regals and goldflakes but I've never personally tried.

BluewaterLa likes this.
  20. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Administrator LARC Supporter

The more expensive the coral is, the more they want to eat it. ;)

reefMD, BluewaterLa and The GOB like this.