40 Gallon Breeder LPS and Softie Reef Tank Build

Discussion in 'The Showroom' started by eaglereefer, Sep 21, 2017.

1. eaglereefer

eaglereefer Peppermint Shrimp

When I started my Reef Tank Journey, I was completely clueless. I just figured I would get what I could afford, throw it all in the tank, simmer for a few weeks, add fish, BAM! While that tank is still surviving, it is far from thriving. One of the benefits of having to quarantine 6 fish at one time is also having to place them in a larger QT. I bought a 40 gallon breeder for the QT with the dream of returning my pals back into a healthier 55 gallon than when they left it. I also had a thought that I could turn that 40 gallon into my very own mixed reef. Well, this is it! The Planning Phase of my 40 gallon reef has started. I would like to set out an open invitation to everyone here to follow along, share your experiences, and also guide me along this journey.

In starting out my plan, I wanted to address what I believed to be the most important, yet overlooked part of my previous tank. We never thought about what fish and or corals we wanted to have in the tank until well after we started the build. Knowing the size of the tank, I decided to look at different species of fish, inverts, and corals that not only would survive in the smaller tank, but also what was appealing to me. It took some time, but I made a "stocking list" of what I believe would do well in the tank. I have attached a copy of the list to this post for your review. Please feel free to point out anything that looks out of place, when and how to introduce the animals, and or any other advise or suggestions you may have.

As always, I plan to be very transparent with this build. I appreciate y'all this forum for that reason. Your guidance thus far have been invaluable to me. Thanks in advance and Happy Reef Keeping!

40 Gallon Breeder Stocking list

Fish:
    • Helfrichi Firefish
    • Green Clown Goby
    • Royal Gramma Basslet
    • Yasha White Ray Shrimp Goby
    • Black Ice Ocellaris Clownfish (Pair)
    • Six-line Wrasse
    • Lawnmower Blenny

Inverts:
    • Cleaner Shrimp
    • Red Banded Snapping Shrimp
    • Emerald Crab (1-2)
    • Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab (1-2)
    • Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crab (2-3)
    • Nerite Snails (3-5)
    • Cerths Snails (3-5)
    • Nassarius Snails (2-3)
    • Rose Bulb Anemone

Corals:
    • Elegance Coral
    • Trumpet Coral
    • Bubble Coral
    • Torch Coral
    • Branching Hammer Coral
    • Branching Frogspawn Coral
    • Favites Brain Coral
    • Lobophyllia Brain Coral
    • Zoanthus Colony Polyp
    • Actinodiscus Mushroom
    • Rhodactis Mushroom
    • Ricordea Mushroom

Attached Files:

BluewaterLa and Humblefish like this.
  2. pecanislandreefer

pecanislandreefer Black Perc

My only warning for you is the six line. While ours WAS a model citizen, and my favorite fish, he has become the bully of the tank, and if I add anything smaller than/same size as him he will beat the out of it! My pair of firefish gobys were here before him, and a few weeks ago he decided he didn't like one of them...it hasn't left a cave on the right side of my tank. I feed it with a turkey baster. Also, the engineer goby has mafe a tunnel system underneath the backside of a large plate rock and waits for his twice daily feedings. It won't be long, though, he will emerge a long beast and hopefully show the six line who is boss! The only fish he attempts the shenanigans with, but is unsuccessful beings she will turn around and just death state him until he swims off, is my royal gramma. Oh, and the new HUGE male Square Box Anthia proves to be an off limits for him...i regret not getting two!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

Looks to be a great stock list to me, the only thing I noticed that most all folks have trouble keeping including myself is the elegance coral. This would be the one that I personally would add last after a year or two, personally I do not even try to keep them anymore but that is just me.

What is the current thought for filtration ?

eaglereefer likes this.
  4. eaglereefer

Looking for a sump that will fit under the stand. Protein skimmer, carbon and gfo reactors, fuge if the sump allows. All new to me so open to suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluewaterLa likes this.
  5. BluewaterLa

If you are really wanting to stay in the LPS department and want that elegance I would suggest you looking into doing a natural refugium with Miracle Mud.
    Certain LPS , quite a number of them are prominent in lagoons that are muddy or silty bottoms and nutrient rich.

clsanchez77 and eaglereefer like this.
  6. eaglereefer

Dumb question alert! Coral in the sump?

7. BluewaterLa

NOPE not at all a dumb question as that is not even a thing my friend.
    the coral would be in the display tank but supported by the benefits of a live refugium and or mud sump filtration rather than mostly depending on supplemental feedings and additions of things we can not provide as the mud and or Vegetation would.
    Some of the most successful systems I've seen with Elegance corals have been Lagoon style tanks with soft substrates, medium flow and a more natural filtration VS a ton of mechanical filtration or things like GFO being used.

Never hesitate to ask questions no matter how Noob they seem or if you are needing clarification as many things can be difficult to follow with just some words being typed.
    I like questions and If there is something I do not know then I always like to find out by searching books and the webs for some answers and having discussions with other folks.

eaglereefer likes this.
  8. eaglereefer

Thanks

BluewaterLa likes this.
  9. eaglereefer

Update:
    The 40 Breeder is on hold as I have chosen to upgrade my 55 to a 120. I will be doing some research and hopefully post some ideas soon.

10. BluewaterLa

'????'That did not take very long to escalate 'showmethemoney'
    Looks as if you are full blown addict, welcome to the sickness :D

eaglereefer likes this.