absolute minimum canopy height for MH?

Discussion in 'Filtration, & Other Equipment' started by Anonymous, Apr 28, 2006.

1. i'm currently running 400w of PC on my 75, but since i'm restarting my tank i'm debating on whether or not i should switch to MH. i want to eventually, just trying to see how much money/work it will take.

my current canopy is probably around 7-8 inches from the surface of the water. would i be able to run a MH setup with that much space or would i have to add on to my canopy in order to make it taller? if so how much taller?

2. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

Sounds like my Oceanic Canopy.. It was about as tall, but with a MH pendant in it, the glass of the pendant was about 3.5 inches from the water surface. I used some 1x4's and molding to raise up the canop four inches. Now my MH pendants are 7.5 inches from the surface. (2 x 250W HQI).

I'd say you definitely need to raise yours because you'll want to be able to get good air flow through there to keep things from getting to hot.

3. Yeah you need to have a taller canopy. Mine are 4" off of the water but my canopy is 24" tall and my lights are on a interior hinged panel that moves out of the way when I need to go swimming.

I like the way Greg added height to his canopy, however, and I think Greg will agree it makes it more of a challange to reach over into the tank. But over all cheaper than a new canopy and looks nice.

4. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

Yeah you definitely need to make sure you can reach all areas inside the tank with the canopy on. As you were able to see with mine, I could just barely get to the bottom of my tank.