Aiptasia Bloom

Discussion in 'Need Help?' started by Marcus Alexander, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Marcus Alexander

Marcus Alexander Emerald Crab

It seems like it happened overnight. They are all over my tank. Will peppermint shrimp do the trick?

2. sfg

sfg Bangaii Cardinal LARC Supporter

They will, so long as you get the right kind of peppermint shrimp. I’ve never had luck buying peppermint shrimp and pretty much wrote it off. Then a buddy gave me a few of his and they cleaned house. So if possible, try and find some that are proven. I think I recall an article that said there are 6 different types of peppermints, and only 1 or 2 of that variety will do the trick

3. reefMD

reefMD Marine Betta

Surprisingly and not to advertise... I had success a few years ago on several occasions from reefs2go which is now aquariumdepot. Not sure if they still have the same variety though.

4. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Reefkeeping Extremist Global Moderator

What size tank is this? There is the Matted Filefish that will eat aiptasia and is "allegedly" coral safe with a little more success than the copperband butterfly. I have also used Berghia Nudibranch, but these guys require time...also peppermint shrimp will eat them.

5. CenlaReefer

CenlaReefer CrossHatch Trigger LARC Supporter

I tried the filefish years ago. It ate up all of those pests, yet it begin to eat all the tentacles off all of my LPS corals. After I sold it back to the LFS at a loss, the aiptasia bounced back shortly after that. I did have success with the berghia; however, you have to be careful which fish you have. Some fish love to eat those little slugs.

Humblefish and clsanchez77 like this.
  6. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

As best we try to keep these annoying plague SoB's out of our tanks some will slip through the inspection process by either being too small to see or tucked away in a tiny spot only to stay hidden from view for a while.
    I had a couple that I recently removed from my tank that were cut off with rock attached.
    Just found a two more on a large rock and will try to epoxy over them as cutting them off will probably be a disaster.

If you can remove the smaller rocks and either cut them off or kill the rock they are on you will be better off going this route to reduce the numbers. If they are small juveniles then you are probably going to have more pop up in time as they become visible with growth.

Do not freak out and loose hope, this is another one of those trying times in this hobby that will test your will and patience to rid the tank of them. Staying proactive and on top of removing them or spot killing them is the only way to get through this issue.
    All great advise above for natural predation, I would employ this method ASAP if you are having lots of small ones just come from no where so the tank does not get over run with Aiptasia , especially if your rock has lots of holes where the glass anemones can tuck away into and be out of reach of most predators including you.
    I would employ some natural predator plus remove ones that can be cut off with some rock to ensure the whole thing is gone.

If I remember right @seth&angelle has some peppermint shrimp in a tank in his shop that are known to eat aiptasia, may want to make a trip to get some shrimp known to grub down on these evil little spawns

CenlaReefer and Humblefish like this.
  7. CenlaReefer

It would be great if Seth can get the specific peppermint shrimp known to eat aiptasia. If such was the case, they would be worth top-notch price. I wonder if his supplier can guarantee that consistently.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  8. CenlaReefer

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  9. GPReefer

GPReefer Let the Fin Begin! Administrator LARC Supporter POTM Winner

I am going to really miss my Copperband when he finally croaks. He is 8-9 years old and I have never even seen an aiptasia in my display the whole time he has been on patrol. In my overflows and sump, yes. He has been an amazing "work-fish."

10. CenlaReefer

I remember watching an American Reef YouTube video years ago showing shrimp being tested to see if they ate aiptasia. So, I sent an email to American Reef. I was pleased that Mr. Russ took the time to write an email himself. Here is the reply:

----------

Hi Kevin,

Just give http://topshelfaquatics.com a call and ask for Alex (he is one of the owners). Tell him Russ from AmericanReef said he could help you with those aiptasia eating shrimp..He’s a good guys and will take good care of you!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    BluewaterLa and clsanchez77 like this.
  11. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Reefkeeping Extremist Global Moderator

Russ is very knowledgable and I want to watch his videos....but I just can't. He takes wwwaaaaaaaaaaayyy tttoooooooo llloooooooonnnnnggggg to make his points. He covers 5 minutes of material in about 45 minutes. It is a good 5 minutes of material, but I really do not have 45 minutes to watch it.

BluewaterLa likes this.
  12. CenlaReefer

Lol. I know what you mean.

BluewaterLa likes this.
  13. jleblanc26

jleblanc26 For the people, by the people Global Moderator LARC Supporter

I can attest to the peps from seth. I had an aptasia infestion blooming, so i bought two peps from store X with no progress, wouldnt even come out of the rocks. Went see seth and got three i believe.Bingo! I do have one or two aptasia hanging around but no where near what i started with, maybe they are just full lol. Buy with confidence.

14. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

Sounds like my type of guy ':bigwv:' haha.

CenlaReefer and clsanchez77 like this.