alevapora(sp?) retracting

Discussion in 'Large Polyp Stonies' started by Romitaz, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

Okay this one is stumping me. I have had an alevapora for about 6 months now and it has been doing great. It survived Katrina and has even trippled in size. Well, I get home today and one half of it is completely retracted. The polyps that are out don't look thier usual robust selves either. I checked all of my levels and everything is in the norm. No salinity, PH, Alk or temp swings. What gives? Of course it has to give me fits just before I have to tear the tank down and move it to the new house. :x This is my wife's fav coral. Any ideas?

2. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

I haven't done anything different in about a month now. No new corals in forever. I wanted everything stable for the move next week. This is anoying me greatly!

3. IMO and IME, Alvaepora and Gonipora are not suited for a home aquaria. They do not do well in captivity for a number of reasons. This is one coral that should be left in the wild and not extracted from coral reefs by divers. Yes, they may do well for 6 months even 6 years depending on the strenght and hardiness of that particular piece, but you just cant ever tell. It is not uncommon for a piece to do very well one day, and take a turn for the worst the next day. Its all in the luck of the draw.

4. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

Well that sucks! I really like the sucker too. It is only retracting on one side. Can the rest survive if this the only part that retracts?

5. I hate to say this but, no. Unfortunately once it starts to go, theres no saving it It usually spreads and will claim the entire coral. :cry: Sorry

6. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

i've never seen it with alevopora, but with gonipora that is very true. they all of a sudden die for no apparent reason.

7. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

Well if it goes, it was beautiful while it lasted. My avatar is what it looked like a couple of weeks ago. It had gotten even bigger before this. :cry:

8. Hey Sean, did it recover or not ? Im guessing here, but i would say no huh..... i just know how that coral can be, fine one day and gone the next.

9. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

Actually, after the move, it is doing just fine. All polyps are extended and it is happy again. Strange, I guess it needed a new locale.

10. Very good!! I bet the better half is happy about that. :lol: ;)

11. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

Yes, she was so happy, she has "let" me make flower beds all day instead of work on building my sump. ;)

12. Sounds like she was twisting your arm to get it done. How long was that on your "honey do" list ? :lol:

13. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

She decided "we" needed to start the beds yesterday. I hurt from stem to stern. Removing several hundred sq. feet of sod in dirt that is hard as concrete is painful.

14. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

Where can I find a mini tiller for cheap in BR? How much do they run a day?

15. So Sean, hows the yard work coming along ? Did you ever find a tiller ?