and speaking of PITA algae. . .

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by Jcraft, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

As some of you know, I currently have a 30g cube tied into the main 120g that is serving as a frag growout tank. The whole setup has been up for a few weeks now, and as far as diatom blooms go, it lasted a couple days and then subsided . . . in the main tank.

It's been 4 days since I cleaned the glass of the main tank, and it doesn't look bad at all. The 30g however is a whole different ballgame. I'm having a REALLY bad HairAlgae breakout- to the point that i can barely see into the tank! I've never had it this bad. And again, the main tank is spotless!

Anybody know what could be going on?

The fact that I only have a few snails in there doesn't help much, and the hermits can't climb the walls to get to the stuff up high . . . the tank is also a BB, but with pretty good flow in there. Another thing that may be a cause is that I have the calcium reactor's effluent dripping into the 30g. maybe that could have an effect? If anything though, I would think that the slightly higher alk and calcium would keep the algae in check!

help if ya can! I hope to be able to go get some more snails on Thursday .

2. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Is the pH different in the growout tank, since you are putting your effluent there? The effluent has a bit of CO2 in it, which, when I kept FW planted tanks, I would inject CO2 into my water to help make the plants grow faster. Maybe this could be what's happening with your hair algae.

Just a guess...

3. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

I would say that may be causing it to grow as fast as it is, and the lack of HA munchers to keep it in check isn't helping.
    The effluent is a pH of 6.5 but the pH of the 30g stays right at 8.0

I have a lawnmower blenny that isn't making much of a dent in it- in fact, I haven't seen him munch on anything! Anything else I could put in that tank?

4. First, I would put some of those big mexican turbo snails in your 30. They should wipe it out in short order. If that doesn't work, try killing the lights for a few days. Take the frags out until the HA is under control. Make sure you have some carbon to help with the algae die off, shouldn't be a problem, but you never know.
    Sean

5. hair algae

I have always had great luck utilizing a fox face I would move him between tanks he was named pig becuase he never stopped eating if it was green it was gone

6. I'm with Sean on the HA. Nothing gets after it faster than the mexican turbo's. The fact that it's not growing in your main tank but is covering your grow out (fuge) is kinda interesting ... and really fortunate. Could lighting be the difference?

7. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

Might wanna check your phosphates also, but turbo snails act like a fat kid at the buffet. Get 5 turbos and you wont have HA after a few days