anemones will not attach to rock

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Anonymous, Apr 18, 2006.

1. I am having a problem with my pink-tipped anemones. Neither will stay attached very long. They will stay on the live rock for a few days and then detach and get sucked into either a powerhead or filter input tube. I feed them every few days and they appear to be healthy. However, when they get stuck in a powerhead or tube it is causing a problem.

Thank you for any input.

2. Well something ive tried before..... you can try to stick the base in a hole in a piece of Live Rock and see if it will stay long enough to attach and maybe it will feel comfortable enough to stay put. But if it is sticking, and then coming off the rock, i dont know what to tell ya then.

3. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

"You" are not having a problem....the anemones are having the problems.

Anemones are mobile animals and will freely move around the tank until they find a place they like. If they move constantly, then either you haven't provided a good enviroment <light & current> for them or they just haven't found the sweet spot yet

4. Coyle

Coyle Ko-Ko Worm

by pink tipped do you mean a condy? if so, i had one when i first started keeping SW fish..that thing moved around like it had legs..maybe they are just an ancy species.

5. If you are referring to a condilactus anemone, or long tentacle anemone, IME, that thing will never stay still and you will always have that problem.

6. yeah

From what i've seen it takes a while for an anemone to find a good home... then it will probably move from there after awhile.
    Curt

7. I have that same one and mine moved until it found a good spot. He doesn't like toooo much current maybe middle of tank and medium light. He's a happy sucker now.

8. You just never can tell with those darn things. I had a GBTA and i got lucky and it stayed exactly where i put it when i first put it in the tank. Then as time went on, 7 months had passed still hadnt moved. One day, he just decided to pack up and move, started walking around the tank to find a new location. This went on for a couple of days until he finally found a new spot. Thats just the chance you take with anemones in a reef tank.