anti virus / malware programs

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by BluewaterLa, Jun 19, 2017.

1. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

Anyone make any recommendations for things like spy bot to install on my new computer ?

I have charter internet and they provide some level of protection but it isnt much so I am looking for something to have on the computer itself.
    I thought the computer came with a six month trial of McAffe but that is only a 30 day trial then they want me to buy some large package.... NOPE :D

The sales person told me that spy bot is free and is pretty good for his needs, though it seems the free version is only for malware and spy cookies. It doesnt come with anti virus protection unless you pay for the whole service.

my question, Is there a good one that is free or is this something that needs to be paid for in order to keep my computer from getting internet aids ??

jleblanc26 likes this.
  2. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Reefkeeping Extremist Global Moderator

OSX 'freelaughing'

jleblanc26 likes this.
  3. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Administrator LARC Supporter

4. BluewaterLa

Thanks, I will look into this and use your recommendations, I may have to watch a YouTube video or two if I can't figure out how to properly get rid of the program.
    My boss lady is out of town for,the week so I am on my own to figure this out :confused:

There is a ton of garbage that came on this computer already taking up space that I will more than likely delete as well.

jleblanc26 and Humblefish like this.
  5. GPReefer

GPReefer Let the Fin Begin! Administrator LARC Supporter POTM Winner

I was going to mention AVG also. I use it on an older computer and have never had trouble with it.

6. Humblefish

Call me if you need any help figuring it out.

jleblanc26 and BluewaterLa like this.
  7. BluewaterLa

'gimmedap'Thanks my friend, I'm trying to catch up to this century :oops:

8. BluewaterLa

Ok so I got rid of that McAffe crap and installed the AVG the free simple version.
    They offered me a free trial of the ''best' protection, Was I supposed to get that option ??

And just a little info, this download automatically downloads Google Chrome along with the AVG.

9. BluewaterLa

I feel like I am learning a little here although it may be through a good bit of hunting and searching on this thin square headed girlfriend of mine :p

10. Humblefish

No, just stick with the free version.

This is a good thing, as Chrome (and Safari) are better browsers than whatever crap Microsoft is preloading on their OS nowadays. ;)

11. BluewaterLa

Yeah its Microsoft internet explorer and I need to figure out all the non wanted programs that come with this garbage that is eating up space that I will never use. May take some time but I will get there eventually

12. Humblefish

I'm always just a phone call away, my friend. :)

13. BluewaterLa

Yes sir its just I never want to disturb folks after hours when I finally get around to such things :confused:

jleblanc26 likes this.
  14. jleblanc26

jleblanc26 For the people, by the people Global Moderator LARC Supporter

Ive always been partial to webroot internet essentials and antivirus when i had a pc. Didn't bog down computer like norton did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluewaterLa and Humblefish like this.
  15. jleblanc26

jleblanc26 For the people, by the people Global Moderator LARC Supporter

16. JeremyAucoin

JeremyAucoin Emerald Crab

17 years IT experience here, free versions of antivirus such as free AVG do not active protect your computer from malware but simply alert you when you do have malware, its more of a "hey you've got a virus I wouldn't login to any personal websites until you address this problem". If free versions protected you than it would be rather obvious that no one would buy the paid versions of the software.

On the other hand there's nothing wrong with using a free version of antivirus if you wish to simply be made aware of a malware problem. I would strongly recommend you install a software called "Malwarebytes", this software is not a real time protection software like an antivirus is but it removes malware from your computer after its infected. This free tool works better than anything else on the market, big box stores like Bestbuy and the geek squad repair technicians envy this software because legally they are unable to use the tool even though it works much better than the tools at their disposal they use a software coded specifically for Bestbuy called "MRI Repair Disc".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. coonassrider

coonassrider Emerald Crab

i use avast on all my computers the free edition works fine never have any problems...........

18. BluewaterLa

Makes sense, thank you for the information.
    So with the AVG having the paid subscription, would it be advisable to get on board with this route or just get the Malwarebytes you speak of ?
    Trying to make sense of all this and I am learning as I go here, definitely dont want to have anymore issues to deal with especially with identity fraud or the likes.
    I will have to find out what my wife uses on her computer because she does online personal business that makes me nervous to the core, I just dont trust anything involving computers as they are high risk.

19. bandit1994

bandit1994 Flasher Wrasse

web root is good and with this kind of thing you get what you pay for and if you need help I am always just a text or call away

20. JeremyAucoin

JeremyAucoin Emerald Crab

The highest quality paid software would be the real time protection that's available from malwarebytes premium or real time protection from kaspersky antivirus paid version.

Personally I don't use an antivirus at all because malware stands out to me like a sore thumb and most if not all antivirus programs hog memory. I generally recommend you run malwarebytes once every two weeks or once a month. Run it immediately after you suspect something wrong. It does a through job at cleaning your registry keys.

My home computers are all Apple products now so no need for antivirus etc.

Even if you choose not to use malwarebytes as your real time protection software make sure you install it on your computer if it's not the first thing you do. Reason being, most viruses/malware in their first few strings of code will destroy installation registries for this software (malwarebytes) and block you from being able to install the software once your computer is infected. This is because attackers know how well this software works at cleaning up your computer so this is done as a means of preventing you from removing their malware from your computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro