Anybody using OCTO Varios DC pumps

Discussion in 'Filtration, & Other Equipment' started by Hardrock, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Hardrock Aptasia

I know its a little late but I ordered this pump before I joined you and it just got delivered. I want to replace the current pump because of the noise level. Anything I might have to consider for the installation ( plumbing ). I think about to set up a external return line and convert my Durso into a Herbie drain.

Attached Files:

2. Dagocfh

Dagocfh Neon Goby

I have the varios 6. Love it. Mine is internal and quiet as can be. It came with unions to connect to hard plumbing. Couldn't be more satisfied.

BluewaterLa, clsanchez77 and Hardrock like this.
  3. Hardrock Aptasia

Thanks for the feedback. I guess we have the same pump, are you using the float switch ?

4. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

I also have the Varios 6 return pump on my 210 and have had it almost a full year.
    Pump is quiet, has great control to get flow rate needed to balance overflow system and has zero impact on heat in the tank.
    I would personally recommend this brand pump to anyone and will continue to use this pump on any other system I may own.

Hardrock likes this.
  5. Hardrock Aptasia

Thank you BluewaterLA, good to hear. I will make the changeover Saturday. Well i went a little bit far with Varios 6 for my 90 gallon tank but my intention is to run a bigger pump on a lower level.

BluewaterLa likes this.
  6. Dagocfh

Dagocfh Neon Goby

Yes I'm using the float switch but haven't actually ran down low enough for it to cut off. Thought that was a nice feature.

Hardrock and BluewaterLa like this.
  7. BluewaterLa

the great thing about this pump series is the ability to control the flow and really dial in to match your overflow capacity.
    this gets even better with using a controller like the apex and opens up a whole other world of things and flow patterns that can be created using the 0-10V port.
    Having a larger DC pump running at a lower setting will be a good thing for power consumption, heat and noise.
    You will notice that the pump will tend to slow down as it gets to be time to clean it, make sure to put the unions in place to easily remove the pump to clean it.
    Breaking the pump down for cleaning is simple and takes little time.
    The soft start feature and feed modes are great, you have the option of a 15 min or a 60 min feed mode and can cancel them by pushing the power button.

Hardrock likes this.
  8. BluewaterLa

Running a herbie style drain in my overflows makes this tank completely silent, with two overflows it requires more adjustment than it should plus I have stupid amounts of flow and surface agitation that plays/ messes with the overflow levels.
    With a 90 gal/ single overflow your tank will not be heard at all, you would have to look for movement in the tank or water.

My skimmer is the only thing that can be heard on my system and its not loud at all.
    with my power heads off and not pushing mad amounts of water all over, people think my tank is off.

Hardrock likes this.
  9. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Reefkeeping Extremist Global Moderator

Man, I need to check these pumps out then. I often wonder if I'm the last person in the world still running an Iwaki. I have contemplated moving it outside as I just have not found a DC pump that has the long service hours behind it like Iwaki's do. Maybe this is one of those things I need to "get with the times" lol.

@BluewaterLa, what kind of flow are you getting off the model 6 in your 120?

Hardrock likes this.
  10. BluewaterLa

Hard for me to judge by eye in the 210 gal. My plumbing is rather simple from return pump up about a foot to a Four way T. off the T is two valves that are not in use at the moment for reactors. UP from there it goes straight up over the back of the tank split into two return nozzles. Each nozzle has two lock lines, though this will be changing.
    As for flow in the display is concerned I get movement from Lps and leathers, its not much and I dont intend to have a return pump strong enough to make flow in the display, I have gyres for this.

Through the sump I would place the amount of flow in the 800 gph range wide open pump on level 5.
    When I had it plumbed with the 1 1/4 dual durso pipes they could not keep up with this pump on its highest setting.
    I can run the pump on level 3 and get what I consider ''normal '' flow through the sump for a refugium base filtration and great contact time for the skimmer.
    On level/ speed 4 and 5 I would consider this to be great for the berlin style set up I have in place.

This pump on a 90 gal or 110 would be great and give plenty of lee way to control the pump to match what your systems needs are.
    There was a time where I was considering going with the Varios 8 which is considerably stronger than the 6
    the 6 is 1750 or 90 gph while the 8 is 2700 gph and some change. Both pumps are pretty close in actual size.

If I got another Varios 6 I was thinking of hooking them both up to the Apex and use them to alternate current with one single pipe each though the logistics of how this would mess with my overflows and sump level would likely not be good.
    I will be getting another one soon, probably the 6 or possibly the 4 and change my plumbing to have the reactors and refugium run off the separate pump so that there wont be any loss of return from the main pump to tank.
    We shall see how well this Varios 6 does with all the extra load.

I thought about getting a flow meter from Neptune to get an idea of what is going on in the pipes but they seem to be just one more thing to clean and break.

Hardrock, clsanchez77 and Humblefish like this.
  11. clsanchez77

Cool. I'm not a fan of variable "controlling" return pumps as I think a steady flow through the sump is very important. If I were to run two pumps, they would have dedicated returns or be in parallel into a common manifold (with check valves).

I have the 1-1/2" manifold that has a 3/4" takeoff for UV and 1/2" takeoffs for carbon, GFO and sump/fuge recycle. I then have the final 1" takeoff for the main return. I only want about 500 to 600 total return through the tank, with 100 through the UV and the balance through the return. I have contemplated the FMM kit, but my plumbing is very tight and I can't fit the modules. If I replace my pump, I will fit a module on the new pump and I would like to get one on the UV. The main return is just the difference between the two (neglecting the others).

12. Hardrock Aptasia

Thanks everybody , seems like I'm going the right way with this pump. Yes a controller is definitely on my list sooner or later, with me getting more and more exited probably soon. LOL. I will keep y'all updated once I have the pump in. First I'll keep the existing plumbing and see the difference , specially at the Drain. The next step would bee the change from Durso to Herbie.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    clsanchez77 likes this.
  13. Hardrock Aptasia

Just a short update on my pump changeover. Today I installed my new Varios 6 and kept the Durso drain. I have to say I'm so happy with my newest update. The first time I plugged it in I could hardly hear the pump kicking in. All I heard was the drain getting busy and I saw the water level raising up quick in my tank. After taking the pump back to level 3 and adjusting the drain I can enjoy the silence. Finally we got some water moving.

14. clsanchez77

You two really have me thinking amongst the reliable hum of my Iwaki ':Thinking:'

Hardrock and BluewaterLa like this.
  15. Hardrock Aptasia

Unfortunately I missed to make a before and after video. I would like to show it to the LFS I have the first set up from. He blamed it on the PVC piping to rigid and I should use hose like he is doing it. Well he don't get my business no more.

16. clsanchez77

I love hearing people blame PVC for their pump problems lol. It's only a problem when you undersize it. Undersizing tubing has it's problems too, just the tubing masks the problem. Ignorance is bliss I suppose. My piping piping is quiet, its the external fan thats so loud, but then Iwakis are TEFC pumps, where the FC stands for "fan cooled"

BluewaterLa likes this.
  17. Hardrock Aptasia

It's just sad, I bought the equipment ( tank , sump ,pump, skimmer and other stuff) from him and he delivered and installed it " for free" . At least I can use the other pump to build a saltwater mixing station. There she can make all the noise she want next to the washer in the laundry room .

BluewaterLa and clsanchez77 like this.
  18. clsanchez77

BluewaterLa and Hardrock like this.
  19. Hardrock Aptasia

They look solid. I'm looking for something low profile. I think I don't need more then 2 canister between 20 and 30 gallon each.

clsanchez77 likes this.
  20. clsanchez77

I have always planned to have two, so I can always have one ready and one being prepared (cleaning, rinsing, filling, mixing, adjusting, etc.). Plus in an emergency, I can prepare enough water for a 100% water change. Because **** happens when you are not ready.

BluewaterLa and Hardrock like this.