Anyone try to keep a stereonephthya?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by CenlaReefer, Jan 12, 2018 at 12:12 PM.

1. CenlaReefer

CenlaReefer CrossHatch Trigger LARC Supporter

This rather rare soft coral is on my radar. I would really love to try a bicolored coral like the one featured in this article. Some have beautiful sclerites that can be seen within the stalk and branches... just like in dendro corals yet MUCH easier to keep. Joey at Aquarium Central in Lafayette is trying to special order one for me.

https://reefbuilders.com/2015/12/10/stereonephthya-portrait-uncommon-soft-coral/

IMG_0986.JPG

2. GPReefer

GPReefer Let the Fin Begin! Administrator LARC Supporter POTM Winner

BluewaterLa likes this.
  3. CenlaReefer

CenlaReefer CrossHatch Trigger LARC Supporter

Liveaquaria says it has a moderate level of difficulty. I am guessing it would not do well in a low nutrient/SPS-geared reef tank. In comparison, acropora are difficult. The dendro, a cousin to this coral, is expert only. I plan to give the stereonephthia a shot. Please let me know if anyone is propagating these. Post some pictures and a price please.

BluewaterLa and GPReefer like this.
  4. The GOB

The GOB Harlequin Tusk

I’ve been trying to get one for quite some time now. I got the LA in stock email on Tuesday but am in Mexico. It was out of stock the next day so I suppose the in stock alert list was a long one. Looks like I’ll be waiting for a couple more years.

BluewaterLa, CenlaReefer and GPReefer like this.