AquaForest Products

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by clsanchez77, Apr 15, 2018.

1. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Reefkeeping Extremist Global Moderator

Anyone here use them? Just curious about them. The new LFS in Metairie carries the assortment and I grabbed a brochure. Seems like a nice system, but is it better? How does it compare to say the Red Sea or Triton systems?

Currently, I only run kalkwasser and balance with 2 part. The only supplement I currently use is ECO Reef Solution.

2. jleblanc26

jleblanc26 keep reefing on! Administrator LARC Supporter

They had a good presentation at MACNA. Made me want to give them a try.

3. clsanchez77

Thats what I am thinking as well. Just seems like a great product line. Aside from my current bout with GHA, I might be willing to try something new just to see what happens. Almost at 2 years old, Im thinking about a tank resent, albeit without the hardware upgrade. Same fish and corals, just new rock, new sand and a new method.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    jleblanc26 likes this.
  4. Stoned

Stoned Ko-Ko Worm LARC Supporter POTQ Winner

With new rock and sand, there goes your mature tank. Unless you go with live rock, then there is the risk of bringing in pest. Why do you want new rock and sand?

5. clsanchez77

Just a reset. It will be cured first and checked for pests. The sand is coming from a bag, so no pests there. Not my first tank reset, Im not worried about pests.

6. nola-ron

nola-ron Black Perc

Aquaforest is very good at one thing: marketing. I used their salt until I went through 4 or 5 boxes that were all wildly inconsistent despite their "quality control certificate" presented in each box with their tested parameters. If you take the problem to their Facebook groups you'll be persecuted by all of their crimlings that jump in praising the aquaforest miracle and finding ways to blame the customer. Then you can start checking all of their profiles and you'll see they all sell the stuff.

They have even been accused of using tank pictures that aren't even running aquaforest.

Sure, some of their stuff is fine. Some people even have success with it. But if their salt is full of wildly inconsistent ALK parameters, then what else is inconsistent?

If you believe in snake oil then I have some beach front property in Arizona for you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

clsanchez77 and smileyjoe like this.
  7. clsanchez77

Thanks, that is good to know! At least with IO, you know what you are getting LOL

And for that matter, I almost never go to a manufacturer's Facebook page for unbiased customer reviews. Might as well just email the vendor directly and ask if their product is any good lol.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  8. nola-ron

nola-ron Black Perc

It's all manipulation and marketing. IO, and many others for that matter, have bad batches too. What the others don't do though is lie and put a signed certificate in the box stating it tested at XYZ parameters.

The Facebook group is their "aquaforest support group". It's how they offer customer support. After I stopped using their products (I used several besides the salt), I would still follow their group just to get entertainment from it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

clsanchez77 likes this.
  9. ihigh

ihigh Toadstool Leather Coral

its like what happened a few years back with salinity and how people pushed it for cleaner mixing containers/tubs, yet people still had the problems like IORC/RSCP had with the addition of horribly inconsistent salts. I know will almost lost his tank due to it, anthony lost all of the SPS he was holding for me because of the salt as well.

Then a few years back at fragniappe, I believe Fritz had started pushing their salt and line with lots of mixed reviews. IIRC, I believe @Kirk_M was one person who had mixed the whole bag and the parameters were SUBSTANTIALLY below what was listed/normal. He also discussed with them multiple times and they sent him new batches which were also poor quality controlled. I know of another member who crashed his tank because he didn't check parameters of the salt and it ended up nuking the tank.

I know sealife pushes the AF line hard (see it all over FB) and the promises of x-y-z, but as someone who's been in the hobby for a few years, there's no shortcut or cure all. There is however a lot of snake oil available on the market, but give me consistency and tried and true products like ESV, tropic marin, red sea, HWMarine, and instant ocean over any of this new stuff. I just wish ESV was cheaper as that would be the ideal solution.

Typlus5 and clsanchez77 like this.
  10. clsanchez77

HW Marine is another one I had been considering. It comes with the BRS recommendation, but there is no where to buy local and thats a big turnoff for me. Never know when you will end up in a crunch. Guess I just stick with IO + Seachem. Has never steered me wrong yet.

smileyjoe likes this.
  11. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Coral Connection doesn't carry hW marinemix anymore? That was their go-to salt years back.

12. clsanchez77

Don't know, I never shop there. I was always an Aquatic Specialties guy; they historically carried Instant Ocean and I've been using it since approx '97/98 era. It's never failed me. I'm just curious if this particular brand was worth it or if I am missing out on anything in 20 years of development - aside from marketing.

13. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Stick with what works for you, as you know. Everyone's got a gimmick, these days.

clsanchez77 likes this.
  14. Typlus5

Typlus5 Marine Betta LARC Supporter

I’ve ended my quest of the perfect salt with HW Marinemix. Mixes crystal clear and ready to use within a couple hours. Parameters have been within the degree of testing measurement error every time. I’d like to buy it local but BRS does ship free.

BluewaterLa and clsanchez77 like this.
  15. clsanchez77

Good note. I need to build my mixing shed so I can just stock up on the stuff and store it so its not an issue. Also, if George still carries it locally, there is that. I have to say, IO is not broke for me, just curious as to what is better that is proven, not just polished marketing.