Aquamedic Ocean Runner 3500

Discussion in 'Filtration, & Other Equipment' started by Kirk_M, May 19, 2006.

1. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Anyone here ever use one of the Aquamedic Ocean Runner pumps? Some call them "Poor Man's Eheims," stating that they work very well, and use lower wattage than a similiarly sized Eheim (I have a 1262 that pumps 900 GPH @ 80 watts, and the 900 GPH Ocean Runner consumes 65W). Anyone know anything about the reliability & heat transfer of these submersible pumps? They are priced at about 1/2 of an Eheim price, and the performance curve is identical for both of these 900 GPH pumps.

Thanks,

Kirk

2. rivrat

rivrat Black Perc

I use one on my turbofloater skimmer and have had no problem with it been runninnig it for almost a year now, also runn one on my closed loop for the same amount of time.

Steve

3. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

might run one of these for a new return pump since its the same gph as the eheim i was thinking about and cheaper and more energy efficient. good questions kirk

4. Kirk,
    I have had very good luck with oceanrunner pumps. Have been using them for years without problems. Lonny

5. Kirk_M

I got the 3500 today ... tested it out. It's very quiet. So far, I am happy with it. I'm going to use it to drive the LifeReef skimmer when it arrives.

6. Kirk_M

Lifereef, with hesitation. The only reason I agreed to it was because I ordered a sump from him, and wanted to be sure it fits. Hopefully I won't regret it, and wind up buying one of the new Tunze skimmers when they come out, or, a Deltec. I ordered the VS3-24, because I wanted the flanges. I don't care what Jeff says, the skimmer's going to get filthy, and it WILL affect the fluid dynamics and the skimmer's performance.

7. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

your not joking kirk, the skimmer chamber being dirty does affect its output. My G-3 isnt putting out as much foam as fast as it was when i first got it. My problem is I have to tear down the entire tank and move it to get the skimmer out to clean it :evil: . I was at least able to get the pump out and clean it and that helped quite a bit.

8. Kirk_M

Gary,

Custom sump...we're looking at July. I am really considering not getting his skimmer. It just seems SO oldschool, venturi driven with a very high wattage pump. I went over to CC today, and he carries Deltec now. I have to say, I wasn't impressed by the build quality. I didn't see one in action because he didn't have one hooked up and running, but, all of the Deltec stuff he had (fluidized bed, ca reactor, kalk stirrer) looked SLOPPILY constructed -- the PVC/Acrylic edges looked unfinished to me, and the weld joints on George's own stuff look better. I think I am going to hold out for Tunze's Master DOC skimmer line.