Aquarium weights in old apartments

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by Anonymous, Aug 7, 2005.

?

Is Tenchuu a madman for even considering this?

1. Yes, go with the 29.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, it's fine, they built them tough in the old days.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, and I wouldn't set up a 20 gallon in that creaking shack.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey y'all, I'm currently living on the second story of a 100+ year-old building in Uptown with a very noticeable lean towards the center (no supports in the center of the building downstairs, which is a dance studio). You can put a battery against the outside wall of the building and it will roll to the center. The building sways when large trucks roll by, but is fine in tropical storms and everything else, from what I've seen. I'm considering getting a 29 or so that I'm going to put on the outside wall. I'm not too worried about that weight, I figure with refugium and everything, it'll be 300 lbs or so, and I've had parties with 30+ people to no ill-effect. The thing is, I've got a very beautiful 55 gallon that isn't set up, and it would work just fine for what I want to use the tank for. I'm just scared that the building can't support that much weight in one area (I figured 650+ lbs). Any opinions about the viability? I'm not used to living in structures this old, so I'm not sure about their integrity (and I know it can be hard to judge given the varying construction quality/techniques). I might just be worried about nothing, but it would be awkward to have a 650 lb fish tank crash through the ceiling and kill four ballerinas. Might teach them to shut up at 8 AM, though... ;)

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I say don't even go with a 20 in that creaking old shack. I'd be nervous about a tank crashing through the floor. BTW if the building sways don't you think water would go everywhere? I think like a 3 gallon pico tank is the only option.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, my six gallon and my 2.5 do ok. The water only moves a little, the swaying isn't severe, just noticable. I've never had either tank spill (they're just more full in front than in back :) ). I figure any tank that weighs less than a large man should be fine; the weight is more evenly distributed, and the apartment can hold plenty of people with no problem. My bookshelves must weigh 200+ lbs (law books, bleh), and I know it'd be my landlord that'd be in trouble if those fell through the floor! :D

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If it can hold the bookshelf than you should be fine with a 20 gallon.