Auto-Top off suggestions?

Discussion in 'Filtration, & Other Equipment' started by oimate842005, Jun 11, 2006.

1. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

looking into setting up a top off for my 135g. It evaporates about 5gal a day...a litermeter is out of my price range at the moment, anything else youll suggest?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I use an IV dripper run from a jar on top of my canopy, but I also have a 10 gallon tank...So, yeah.. I'm sure that's wouldn't work very well on a large scale.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i'm planning on using some components from www.autotopoff.com for mine.

i'm looking to hook it directly to my ro/di unit, so i'm getting a double sump mount with latching upgrade and a solenoid valve.

4. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

ATO unit here , works off two float switches. It has been running great for a few months now.

5. oimate842005

ronnie, how do you have your ATO configured? are both switches in the sump for a backup?

6. ronniem

Yea I have both in the sump. One is for low level to turn on the unit, and the other is set like 1/4" above it for the high level shut off. This way the water level in my system stays within 1/4" and salinity never changes.
    I figured if the maxi jet that feeds the system runs dry and burns up no big deal just by another $15 pump.

7. brandondu

brandondu Peppermint Shrimp

How do you have your system set up so that it turns on at low-low and turns off at high-high? Do you have a solenoid or something? I've been trying to think of how to do this. Thanks for the help.

8. ronniem

9. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Tunze osmolator...run from a 38 gallon reservoir, pumped through a kalkwasser reactor.

10. oimate842005

not sure if I want to add a kalk reactor to the setup, already have a calcium reactor and ph stays high enough to cancel the need for a kalk reactor

11. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Sorry didn't mean to make it sound like you should add one...I was just stating my setup...my bad.

12. Alque01

Alque01 Cleaner Shrimp

could someone post a picture of their top off set up.

I have a 90 gallon RR, and under the cabnet I cant imagine fitting to much else.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

approx 5gal a day loss here and use a float valve for regulation. Don't like the elect. stuff. For whopping $7.64 it is bullet proof http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/varian ... 5Fid=23135
    been in use for 5years without failure. Hooked to my RO/DI pressurized storage tank.