Blue Planet

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by Kirk_M, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Did anyone catch the documentary series on the Discovery Channel last weekend called "Blue Planet: The Living Sea?"

2. trags

trags Fire Shrimp

Not sure if it was the same one but I did happen to catch the Blue Planet episode about coral reefs.....wasn't too bad. About a month ago, an episode of Blue Realm came on that was focused on reefs & it was the best coral based show that I've seen on Discovery so far. Of course it being in Hi-Def helped out tremendously :)

3. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

Yeah, I cought all 4 of the episodes! lol. They were nice. My favorite scene was when they had that huge *** snail that ate Conches and just about the time he was done eating the Conch those hermites where fighting over who gets the new shell. When that one hermit leaped into the air into the shell that was just coming out of the giant snails mouth I busted out laffing :lol:

4. Kirk_M

I must have dozed off...they were running last week from 8 pm till probably 1 am last Saturday or Sunday, and I fell asleep a few times during the program. They had the one on reefs that showed a big stoney reef getting destroyed by a storm. Was kind of heart breaking to see hundreds of years of growth destoyed in such a short period of time.

5. I tivo'd them. I watched the one with the storm and I too was heart broken to see all those stoneys break after years of growth.

6. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

thats we get the live rock in our tanks. its collected mostly from storm damaged reefs.

7. bmb527 Marine Betta

Actually, less than 20% of the rock in our tanks comes from storm damaged reefs. Most of our LR is chipped off of the reef structure. That is the case in Fiji, Marshall Islands, Bali and much of Tonga. Even the Hatian and other Carib. rock. There is a couple places that deal in "aquacultured" LR, like TBS for one. The problem with it is, it is too dense and you need so much to make a productive bio filter in your tank.
    Bill

8. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

no actually, CITES regulated live rock collected from Fiji, Bali, Marshall Islands and other places that play by the books have very strict conservation guidlines they have to follow. they only collect from areas that are badly damaged and show very little signs of coral life. this rock that is collected is usually so muddy they hose it off with fire hoses to get the muck and all the critters out. now those other places you mentioned, Tonga and Haiti do not follow CITES guidlines. so unfortunately, they do not follow conservation guidelines and will one day resemble the phillippines reefs. Walt smith also aquacultures rock in Fiji and also in a lagoon off Australia(the best looking A.Q. rock i ever seen). TBS A.Q. rock is extremely dense full of parasitic creatures you want as far from your reef as they can get.

9. bmb527 Marine Betta

That is odd, I have rock that when I unpacked it, I could see where it was chipped and broken with chisels. It is Fiji rock. I also know at least 3 people who buy rock and coral in LARGE quantities for their stores and have been to the suppliers in the countries mentioned and see first hand how the products are collected. CITES is not mandatory and there is many more collectors who are not members than who are.
    Next time anyone orders in rock, examine it closely and you will probably find fresh grooves, gouges and break marks where it was broken off the main reef.
    After looking at the CITES.org website, I can't find where LR is regulated at all by CITES. In appendices I, II, and III, valid from 6-14-06, which is the list of species covered by CITES, only collecting of LIVE corals of varying types is regulated. Fossils, which is what most LR is, is not regulated in the provisions of CITES.
    Bill

10. It is actualy a full series put out by the BBC a few years back. Its actualy a series of 8 50-min programs. Well worth the watch if you can get a hold of it I bought the dvd set a few years back and still watch it again and again

11. Kirk_M

Ok, let's rip and burn it :)

12. I dont have a dvd burner but would be willing to help out on making sets by providing the origional to let someone else burn away

13. im pretty sure mine can. dont have any blanks right now tho