brownish bugs??

Discussion in 'What the...?' started by Reef_Tank_Greg, May 18, 2006.

1. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

A few days ago I noticed a few small reddish brown things crawling on my algae clip. Since then, these things have really become very numerous in my tank. Mostly covering the sandbed near the rocks and the lower portions of the rocks in the tank.

Here are a couple closeups:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's what this looks like from a distance, covering part of the sandbed:
    [​IMG]

What are these???

2. shivametimbas

shivametimbas Spiny Star Astraea

flatworms?

3. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

thanks, that answers my question and I was able to read about them... just have never had them in my tank (or at least could not see them) so did not know that was flatworms... so i am more or less stuck with them?

4. shivametimbas

they'll probably die off. try to siphon as many as you can. ur mandarin might eat some of em too.

5. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

mandarin decided he was a jumper a couple weeks ago... no idea how, but he made it out through a tiny crack in the back :/

but yeah, since I noticed them I've been siphoning the sand. They no longer cover most of it, just near the rocks and in back middle of the tank

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah, definitely Flatworms. Looks like a pretty heavy infestation you got there. Have you always had that problem ? Siphoning them out will put an impact on the problem, but not rid you of them totally. Bright light just makes the problem worse. Think about how bad the problem really is, like the ones you cant see. The ones on and in the crevices of the rocks. HTH

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I wonder if they were always there and the Mandrin was keeping them down? And now that he is gone they have no preditors.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Jewel damselfish are known for eradicating the little buggers. I understand a lot of the wholesalers in LA have them in their tanks to help will the problem before they get shipped out.
    Sean

9. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

The mandarin was only in my tank for a couple of months. As for having them in the past, not to where I had ever seen any.

Of course moving the tank stirred up all sorts of things!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

maybe

I hear that the yellow coris wrasse will take them out too.
    Curt

11. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

Re: maybe

just looked those up, very nice looking fish!

12. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Had a Coris wrasse...and still had a flatworm problem in the old tank...not anywhere NEAR what you have though.

Best advice is: Siphon off as much as you can into a filter sock, into your sump (so you don't have to pour the water back into the tank from a bucket later). Set up a canister filter with carbon, and have it ready to go. Get some Flatworm eXit by Salifert and dose it...watch flatworms die. It takes a few hours with your skimmer off, and some will be resistant, so you'll have to dose again a few days later. I always had to use more than the recommended dose. It works, and is reef safe. You need to monitor your inhabitants for stress from the TOXINS the flatworms are said to release when they die. That's why you siphon as many as you can out first, and have the carbon ready to run.

Hope that helps...

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah ive heard good things about Flatworm Exit by Salifert is a really good product to eliminate Faltworms. I dont know if you had missed what i said about bright lights or not, but running the Metal Halides if you have them is only making the problem worse. For some reason it causes them to reproduce at an alarming rate. Good Luck. ;)

14. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

thats the best advise you can get.

never had this happen in my experience, but it is possible if there are alot of flatworms. then again you run the risk of killing all your tanks inhabitants if you dont siphon out as many as you possibly can before using flatworm exit.

15. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

Siphoning works really good on the sandbed, but in the case here they are all over the rock work too and those are difficult to get. Any suggestions for how I might go about getting those as well? I don't want to dose the stuff before I am positive I've done all I can to get as many out as possible first.

16. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

You sure you're not talking about Interceptor for redbugs? I have seen plenty of reports of it taking out pretty much any crustacean life in your tank. Never have had a problem with eXit myself...guess it's possible, especially if you have a lot of flatworms to kill off....supposedly it's the toxins they release upon dying that kills stuff. Just my experience with this product.

17. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

I read about both of those products. You're right, I believe that's what he is thinking of. Either that or the toxins you mentioned. The directions for flatworm exit give all the recommendations you gave for siphoning well, running carbon after, doing a water change after, etc etc because of the toxins the flatworms may give off when they die.

18. Palancar

Palancar Ex-Acan Collector LARC Supporter

One important thing to do is keep the skimmer running according to the Flatworm Exit instructions. When I first used it the skimmate defiantly had a red tint to it. And watch any fish for adverse reactions.

[​IMG]

19. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

I am going to do the eXit during the week next week. In the meantime I have been siphoning the sand regularly. For the flatworms on the rocks, I am using a powerhead to blow them off. Within an hour or so, a bit of those settle down in the sand. So I do another siphon and repeat. I'll be doing this 2-3 times a day for the next few days. Fun stuff! :)

Really, it sorta is fun. I love how the glass box can keep me busy for hours on end. Well, i love it when I have the time for that!

20. shivametimbas

a turkey baster works wonders too. also cleans ur rock.