build time/rock city reef upgrade

Discussion in 'The Showroom' started by bandit1994, Aug 6, 2017.

1. dave

dave Blue Ring Octopus

I would not put a tank that is resealed nto my home. I have had a tank leak in the middle of the nite and it is NOT fun. I think the $1 a gallon sale is on right now and you could go purchase a 40 breeder which is a nice size. Just my opinion. I understand your budget is limited. Just dont wanna see you with a wet house!

2. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

So the silicone on the inside of the tank was removed and replaced.
    Water testing this tank would be a very good Idea so that you dont set it up and find out a few nights later that your parents would be upset over water being outside the tank.

Nothing wrong with free thats for sure, How well do you know and trust the person that gave this to you ?
    The top trim being busted could be from the tank getting hit on something or dropped, Look very carefully with a flash light at the area and try to look at an angle to see if the glass is chipped or cracked under that area.

I just want you to make sure that this tank will hold water and is in good shape so that things go well for you and your home. Nothing like getting the house back to normal only to have water damage from a fish tank.
    You dont have to be scared or worried about the tank, a couple days filled with water should be enough for you to know if it will hold water well.
    While the tank is filled with water make sure to inspect the seams / seals in between the glass panels.
    What you are looking for is air gaps where the silicone has come loose and is no longer sealing / making contact with the glass edges.
    Slightly / lightly Push-pull with your fingers will allow the glass and seals to flex some while watching the seam where the glass is sealed for signs of movement or separations.
    If you are still not sure then having another person in the area stop in to check the tank out would be a good thing.

3. bandit1994

bandit1994 Bangaii Cardinal

The guy I got it from is a great reef geek and it's the bottom trim and he had it setup for a few years before he upgraded to a 90 gallon tank so I am not worried about the tank but I will leak test it

4. bandit1994

I cleaned the sump today and I started sanding the stand

5. bandit1994

I am pulling a @BluewaterLa and have not been posting pictures of the build but I don't have much to show but where I have been sanding the stand

6. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

':twitch:'':twitch:'':twitch:'':twitch:'':twitch:'':twitch:'':twitch:'':twitch:'

7. bandit1994

I am glad you got a kick out of it my stock list for this tank lay out like this

3 Fiji blue devils
    1 falco hawk fish

Corals undecided yet

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017 at 12:33 AM