bum eye

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Anonymous, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

After my problem with the potters angel last week, i got a purple tang from Rick's yesterday. Take him home, do a nice acclimation and everything seems swell. Well this morning he has a cloudy eye. It looks like it may have been injured but i'm not perfectly sure. Not really popping out at this point, just a little cloudy. I've been watching him for about a month at the store and he seemed fine. I can try to catch him for a hospital if need be but i would hate to further injure him trying to catch him. He seems to be adjusting well otherwise and is eating like a hog. :cry: All my other fish are fine and no other new fish in a while except for the potters last week that died after less than 24 hrs.

2. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

I was eyeing those purples up myself last time I was there...he had a couple of REALLY nice ones that were small, but had excellent color. Rick talked me out of it for the time being though, since, I really am not finished yet with adding fish...I only have 4 small fish (2 chromis, one black-capped basslet, one long-nose hawk), so the 120 looks kind of empty :) Sorry to hear about that, Bryan...hopefully he'll get better.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yeah , I haven't had the best of luck with fish lately! Oh well. It really is a gorgeous fish, such vivid color. I'm almost done adding fish. I picked the least agressive one, according to Rick. He told me you were eyeing them up. I hope everything works out. Maybe I should try some Melafix?

4. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Don't know about melafix. I'm not one to add medications to the tank, especially something like melafix which doesn't even tell you what's in it, and smells like eucalyptus oil. I'd just give it time, feed him well, and keep him free of stress by not chasing him around with a net to put him in a quarantine tank.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah, I guess time is prob. my best ally at this time. I haven't added anything to my tank yet and I prob. shouldn't.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

leave him alone, dont medicate your tank, and definatly don't try to catch it.
    Just give him a few days to adust and hope for the best.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree. Give it a few days to see what happens.
    Sometimes when a fish is caught the net can scratch its eye. That may be what happened. As long as a fish is eating good food it has a chance of fighting off sickness and injuries without meds.
    I do not know your tank, like if its a fish tank or reef. I personally would not add any meds to my reef. A fish tank would be different.
    If you decide you need to medicate I think the melafix would be a good choice for this type of injury. Your skimmer will go nuts if you add melafix to your tank so be prepared.
    Later Lonny

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

His eye is just about clear today. All of the other fish follow him around. He is doing great!