Buying a used tank

Discussion in 'Need Help?' started by roid reefs, Mar 27, 2018.

1. roid reefs

roid reefs Emerald Crab

need some advice to look for when looking at used tanks. General things to look for. I got lucky with my current tank.

Also, DSA, seen that brand before. Stands for deep sea aquatics I’m assuming? Looking at a 2yr old dsa reef ready 180. Single overflow, dual drain, dual return. Good brand or no?

What would a good price be if it is in like new condition as advertised?

2. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Administrator LARC Supporter

Deep Sea Aquatics is out of business now, but they made some good tanks. But whatever you do, don't buy a used tank unless you see it holding water. (Unless you know the seller/tank history.)

I would probably pay $200-300 (depending upon condition) for a drilled, used DSA 180. If you are getting the stand, canopy, other equipment... expect to pay more.

3. ihigh

ihigh Toadstool Leather Coral

Near the end of DSA, I think people were complaining about the larger tanks (>120g) were using glass that wasn't thick enough so I would also measure it and make sure.

It was a quality product and my brother still runs a DSA 105 rimless going 2 years.

4. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Reefkeeping Extremist Global Moderator

Regardless of brand, carefully inspect the seems, as @Humblefish stated, while holding water. The smallest leak now will blow into a stream and then a tear. Silicone seals cannot be simply "fixed" - they must be completely removed and replaced as silicone does not bond to itself. Look for any patches of fresh silicone that may have been used to temporarily mask a leak. Also check for a cracks or fraying in the glass at all edges and especially around any holes if drilled. Finally, get the make and model of the tank and verify it is in its original configuration. For example, if the previous owner removed the center brace, stay away from that. That may be a risk you would take on your own tank, but one I would ever assume from someone else.

5. roid reefs

roid reefs Emerald Crab

Thank you all for the advice. Going to shy away from this tank simply because its craigslist and the owner seems real pushy to get me there. Kept using tactics like he has someone else going last night. then I said I cant make it, so he lowered the price if I came that night. lowered it a little more to get me to come right away. When I talked to him on the phone originally he seemed to know a good bit about DSA, but now he just seems real sketchy. so im going to shy away. ill wait for one of the members here to have another tank for sale. I'm not looking to upgrade until about a year or so down the road.

BluewaterLa and Humblefish like this.
  6. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Administrator LARC Supporter

Sounds like you’re making the right call. If you see someone on here selling a used tank that they previously had setup (build thread), then at least you’ll know the tank hasn’t been sitting in a garage for who knows how long. And the seams are all dried out.

BluewaterLa and roid reefs like this.
  7. LJLKRL05 Emerald Crab

Another thing to consider with a used glass tank, is the haze on the inside of the glass probably will not come off all the way. It is almost invisible when the tank is full of water, but very visible when empty and dry.

8. roid reefs

roid reefs Emerald Crab

All good points. I will definitely hold off from craigslist ads, just be patient, and watch for a tank from a reputable seller/ someone who I have dealt with before. Thinking about it, buying from the forums gives an extra sense of security as we all are here to help each other out and not try to scam someone for money. All the people I have met here from LARC have been upstanding people.

Humblefish and BluewaterLa like this.
  9. roid reefs

roid reefs Emerald Crab

This is a great point. My current tank, I resealed just to be sure, I looked for small chips in the glass edges and everything seemed in good shape.

10. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

I think you are making a wise decision to pass on this no matter how good a deal it seams.
    Always remember the main seal on any tank is between the glass panels, this bond is what holds the glass together while filled with water.
    The inner seal / bead of silicone is just for added security of keeping algae and other things from getting to the real seal.
    The inner seal is the one that can be stripped with some effort and reapplied if needed but you must be sure the Structural seal of the tank is still good.
    The tank should hold water without the inner seal being there. Look for air gaps or bubbles between the panels of glass.
    Good tank manufactures will not let a tank go out with air bubbles in the main seals because this is a failure point all in due time.

There are always good deals to be had on Larc for tanks and equipment, Just keep looking each day or so in the classified sections.

roid reefs and Humblefish like this.