CA Reactor DIY/and me workshop

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Anonymous, Feb 10, 2006.

?

Would you want to build one?

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. will you just build it for me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I would rather pay out my butt for one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK, here's the deal! I seems I have a pretty good design for a CA Reactor. So my question is: How many people would be interested in a DIY work shop to build them? I'm talking about a production line work shop and at the end of the night you go home with a Reactor. Here is my idea, everyone who plans to attend and build one would pay what ever the amount is for the materials and we could buy them in bulk to lower the cost. The flanges that I like to use are not the cheapest thing. I have all the tools, taps and stuff, but I really don't have a place to host it yet. My office has a work shop but I will need to get clearance to host it there. So if someone has a work shop we could use for a few hours to donate that would be sweet. I have a dirt pad where my work shop is going to be but that won't be ready till later this spring.

Estimated cost of the reactor's parts would be $100ish including a mag pump.

I can also talk to Mr. Henry at LA Fire and see what kinda deal he could do on CO2 tanks. I bought 2 20#ers for $100 bucks each filled. but most people would rather a smaller 5 or 10# bottle.

Bottom line is you can build a complete system: Reactor, PH Controller, Regulator, and CO2 tank for about $450 or less. 8)

2. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Are we talking about something made of clear acrylic tubing, preferably cell-cast? What do you use for flanges that makes them expensive? CNC routed? Is it watertight? I'd really love to see your design, as I am soon to be in the market for one, but, if I can build it cheaper, I'm game for it.

3. The Van Stone flanges are up there in price. I need to contact Russel at Champion and see if he could get us a discount. The body is made of clear PVC. Has a light blue tint but is much more durable that cast. It is easier to tap as well. It cost 15$/foot vs. cast acrylic at 26$/foot just a preference to me. we could just use off the shelf pvc fittings like my first 2 reactors. The flanges make it easy to change the media, I just had another idea on making the top.

4. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

We can plan a DIY April or May meeting. Beer and powertools make a good combo!

5. By then I will have great knowledge of these things. I am looking at other materials right now to keep cost down. I will keep in touch.

6. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

I voted in the poll.. but wanted to post in the thread too to say I am in for doing this. Not really for the cost, but mostly because it will allow me to completely understand calcium reactors by the time we're done.

Great idea and suggestion!

7. Im in MS can I come to this meeting? I very interested in one of these.

8. rivrat

rivrat Black Perc

I would like to come and make 1 myself but I couldn't make it in april.

Steve

9. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

May is best for me.

10. Reactor

I'm up for building one. May is better for me too.

11. robharold Montipora Coral

COuld I come to help build/learn? I can't afford to get one but would like to come so I would know what they do and how they work.

12. Tank102a

Tank102a Postasaurus Rex

I'm setting up a 300g tank and will be very much in the maket for one.
    I live in Slidell so please keep me updated when, where, how much.

13. I made one myself last summer hadden't hooked it up yet do to katina and now I'm moving but it came out pretty good. Not very pretty but it work and and will hand a tank much larger than mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was dj88 on RC design many people has copied it with great success. It's a dual calcuim Reactor in one.

14. Sweet lookin' DIY!!!!! ;)

15. Is there a date set yet? I'm still interested in learning how to build one.

16. i'd be interested myself

17. Tank102a

Tank102a Postasaurus Rex

Did anything come out of the CA reactor work shop :?:

18. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

Nope- and I imagine all those interested went ahead and bought one

19. Tank102a

Tank102a Postasaurus Rex

Oh well, it sounded like fun. But I guess I'll have to buy one too. :(

20. I would like to get in on this as well. Sounds like fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.