Calcium Reactors and Controllers

Discussion in 'Filtration, & Other Equipment' started by Kirk_M, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

I am about to buy a Ca reactor. Over on LifeReef's site, Jeff says that a controller is NOT NECESSARY equipment for a Ca reactor, but, that the effluent pH must be checked to make sure that it is operating properly. Does anyone here NOT use a controller with their Ca Reactor? If it's just a needless piece of equipment (since I can simply TURN OFF the CO2 at night with a solenoid valve and timer, and can even only run it a few hours a day to prevent drops in pH), I'd rather not spend the money on it.

2. Kirk_M

Thanks, Chris. When it arrives, I'll have to mess with it a bit 'til I get it "dialed in."

3. Kirk_M

Which controller would you recommend? I have looked at both Milwaukee and Pinpoint. Reviews on the pinpoint state that you have to have a .2 deviation from your set pH for it to activate/deactivate the solenoid valve. .2 is a lot in terms of pH.

Thanks,

Kirk

4. Kirk_M

Jay,

How are you liking the Reef Fanatic controller? I want to use the probe in the probe port on my reactor to monitor/control the pH in the reactor itself, as this is supposed to be more accurate. I was reading the instruction manual for it on manufacturer's web site, and I am not really understanding how it works. Can you set it to turn off the CO2 at one value and turn it on at another? I couldn't figure out if you could set both a high and low set point for action to be taken, or if you could only set a high OR a low, but not both.

Thanks,

Kirk

5. Kirk_M

Jay,

Are you using the probe in your tank/sump, or do you have the probe plugged into the port of your reactor (don't know what kind of reactor you have, but, the GEO I have has a probe port on top of it).