Check those heaters!!!

Discussion in 'Filtration, & Other Equipment' started by clsanchez77, Jan 2, 2018.

1. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Reefkeeping Extremist Global Moderator

Got up this morning and looking over the tank before I go back to work for the first time since Christmas break. Water level looked a little low, so I hit "Feed C" on the Apex to add a gallon of RO/DI. Food was empty so I topped it off with some liquid mysis, arctipods and fish eggs. Conductivity and pH looked fine. Temp was at 73.5F. Grab lunch, pat the kids on the head...WAIT THE **** WHAT?!?!

I had removed my heaters a few weeks ago to give them a vinegar bath and clean them. When I put them back, I never plugged them back in.

A quick review on the Apex shows temp had dropped below 76F on Dec 31st and dropped about 1F a day since. I only plugged in one 75W heater so I can slowly bring that temp back up. I am now at 74F. The first heater is programed to maintain 76F. The second one comes on at 75.8F. The third one with alarm comes on at 75.6F. The alarm was manually turned off during maintenance and I never turned it back to auto. Time to add some logic in there as well.

Stay warm my friends.

BluewaterLa and Humblefish like this.
  2. coryjac0b Kole Tang

You can have your apex send you a notification on certain parameters. Mine notifies me by text and email on temp too high or too low.

BluewaterLa likes this.
  3. GPReefer

GPReefer Let the Fin Begin! Administrator LARC Supporter POTM Winner

This made me check my heater in my nano - current home to my recently acquired juvenile Purple Tang. Looked at the display - 72.8! Sinking feeling in stomach... Then I realized I had accidentally yanked the wire to my temp probe and it was out of the water in my sump. Doh! Crisis averted. Actual temp 79.7. :)

BluewaterLa and clsanchez77 like this.
  4. clsanchez77

Yes, I have that setup but it was manually turned off from the last time I had my sump drained for cleaning.

BluewaterLa and coryjac0b like this.
  5. clsanchez77

I had my cabinet opened last night for about an hour while I re-ran some new extension chords for the heaters. The tank temp dropped 1 degree. This shows how much heat my cabinet holds from being fully closed.

BluewaterLa and Humblefish like this.
  6. CenlaReefer

CenlaReefer CrossHatch Trigger LARC Supporter

My heater died at the beginning of the winter. It was a good thing I had an old one in the garage.

BluewaterLa likes this.
  7. CenlaReefer

CenlaReefer CrossHatch Trigger LARC Supporter

Wow. This heater is VERY expensive, yet it may be on my shopping list for a much-needed new heater:

https://www.marinedepot.com/ViaAqua...225371885&mc_cid=463e0285f5&mc_eid=1fdb6cb93d

This may help me to hold out longer on getting an aquarium controller. I like these features:
    • Easy To Read LCD Temperature
    • Built in Memory
      • When the power is disconnected the temperature will return to the original set temperature
    • Temperature controller with safety system
      • Auto shut off if the temerature exceeds 90°F, Out of water/Run Dry, or if there are any electrical problems with the sensor/controller. An alarm will sound and the LCD screen will display an Error.