clean up crew for sps heavy tank?

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by Anonymous, Jul 11, 2006.

1. hey all.

finally getting my tank up and running here in houston. going thru all the set up stages (cycling now) and i realized that i'm not quite sure what type of clean up crew to get.

my old tank was predominately softies, and now i'm going for mostly SPS. i used to have about half a dozen turbos, a plethora of nass. snails, and a few dozen hermits

are the any critters i should avoid with SPS or should a basic array of snails/crabs be sufficient?

this is all for a 75g tank btw.

2. personally i hate turbo snails becuase they are big and clumksy and are famous for knocking things over, so as a rule of thumb i stay away from them but other than that you should be fine with the basics.

3. renfest1

renfest1 Kole Tang

I have always gone with one clean up critter per gallon, give or take a few. So your looking at 70 snails and about 10 hermits. I don't like turbo snails either. You can't go wrong with an emerald crab or sally lightfoot, I've never had problems with them in my reef. But that's just my opinion, I only have a hole in the wall at this point.

4. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

i aucatlly dont get hermits anymore, they kill my snails and i have empty shells everywhere. Now i use margatire snails and a few turbo snails. I also have a sally lightfoot to clean up left over food and a sand star to sift through the sand. I've heard that sand stars eat literally every little creature in your sand and basically sterilize it but i dont care, i have a refuguim pumping coepods into the tank constantly.

5. yeah in my old tank it was always the snails i saw working.

the crabs were just moochers waiting for a turbo to fall on its back

6. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

basically, i dont bother with hernits anynore, all they do is piss me off lol. They always end up on my monti cap and get stuck