Clownfish and Anemone Question

Discussion in 'Fish' started by cwale, Jun 5, 2006.

1. cwale

cwale Emerald Crab

Ok, I have done a little searching, but have not found this question posed before. I have two true percs and a bubble tip anemone. I also have a large hammer coral. The smaller clown was initially attracted to the hammer coral, but has since decided it didn't like it. Neither of the clowns even pay any attention to the anemone. Now, I wish the little suckers would form that whole symbiotic thing and sing a little koom-by-ya together with the anemone, but they haven't. Why? Is there anything that I can do to encourage the behavoir or am I just silly for even thinking this was going to happen? I know it's probably silly, but to be honest, I really wanted this, in fact it's kinda the first thing that attracted me to reefkeeping. Thanks for any help. :lol:

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How long have the anemone & perc been in your tank? It could take 2 weeks for the relationship or it could not host at all.

Percs will mostly host in a Ritteri Anemone. That one is more natural. Sebae clowns like bubble tip almost automatically. HTH

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

clowns

from my experience Percs are weird about hosting. It is said they will normally host in rittari, but i have seen them host in nearly everthing. I would say that if they tend to general hang out in a certain area, move the anemone closer, but then the anemone will probably move. Percs just really are not consistant on hosting. There was one at a LFS the other day hosting in a condo, while mine hosted in xenia. This probably isnt much help, but really all i can think to say is to offer several different things such as the anemone, and corals that are host friendly and just hope the clowns will host in something. Not much else you can do that i know of...
    Curt

4. cwale

cwale Emerald Crab

This is crazy, I think the fish heard me talking and decided to move in to the hammer coral. It is very nice to see them acting right. :lol: Now if only they would stay there when I walk up to the tank. Every time some approaches the tank, all of the fish go up to the glass thinking it is feeding time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

my maroon host in a condy anemone, toadstool leather and her "intended" BTA depending on her mood... at least that's how it seems.
    Apparently she'll sleep just about anywhere.

6. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

the best way to ensure clownfish will host in an anemone is by providing them with their natural host anemone. occelaris and percula clowfish naturally host in ritteri or carpet anemones. i certainly do not reccomend attempting to keep a ritteri anemone as they are nearly impossible to keep alive. in my experience with these clownfish it is not uncommon for them to take host in other anemones or corals, as noted by other replies. the biggest problem with them hosting in a coral, such as a hammer, is they will aggravate the hammer usually to its demise. when i was working at ricks and aquatic i would reccomend to the keeper of a clown that is not hosting in an anemone to try to scare the clown to the anemone. it worked for me with good results and many others. another thing is if the clownfish is tank raised they will be more likely to host in an anemone that is not their natural host.