Clownfish Harem Tank

Discussion in 'All In One Aquariums (AIO)' started by Marcus Alexander, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Marcus Alexander

Marcus Alexander Emerald Crab

So here is the beginning. I have one part of the tank perfect and ready to go. I have been playing around with potential orders for the clowns from sustainable aquatics. Eventually I will also build a refugium for filtration, but for now the sump will do. I will also have one lone emperor angelfish when the fallow period is over. I'm getting rid of all the soft corals in the tank and going with just the anemones. Anyone interested in those peices should message me. You might be surprised at how low the price is ;-). Anyway please follow my progress here. I plan to document the highs and lows on the tank. I will be doing a lot of learning along the way.

Attached Files:

2. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Reefkeeping Extremist Global Moderator

looking forward to this. What kind of lighting do you have? Anemones are very particular about lighting, more so than corals.

3. Marcus Alexander

I have Ecotech Radions Gen 4s

4. Marcus Alexander

Will be adding a mp40 soon. If I can find one that isn't $300 lol.

5. The GOB

The GOB Flasher Wrasse

Which species of nem? The Emperor may pose a threat to many and be at risk from a few...

BluewaterLa likes this.
  6. Marcus Alexander

RBTAs he's been in the tank with them for a while with no issues. Then the tank broke out in ich. So he is not there anymore.

7. Marcus Alexander

Now that I've attended MACNA I have to have a black widow BTA. Hopefully, I will find one one day.

8. The GOB

The GOB Flasher Wrasse

Happen to have a pic of the "black widow"? I'm not familiar with that morph.

BluewaterLa likes this.
  9. Marcus Alexander

Here's the best one I could find.

Attached Files:

10. The GOB

The GOB Flasher Wrasse

That looks pricey!

11. dave

dave Blue Ring Octopus

Im my experince with the 2 emporers ive had. They will start nipping when they start changing colors.

BluewaterLa likes this.
  12. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

I would agree with the above mentions of the Nipping and certain anemones being on the menu.
    Before I got home this morning I noticed first hand an Emperor smacking on some bubble tips tentacles and this is not the first time I have witnessed this exact thing.
    Most all juvenile Angles and other species have completely different diets from the adult version, Its when that maturity/ color change starts is when they will change feeding behavior. I will say that some of and even a large portion of the Nipping can be kept at bay or reduced with feeding extremely well with a variety of foods that the particular fish likes while in our tanks.

In all this is your journey and we will all follow along
    Good luck and happy reefing
    BluewaterLa/ Mike

13. clsanchez77

Source: http://www.fishbase.org/summary/6504

The biggest problem with marine angels in reef tanks is that we cannot provide their natural habitat and feeding needs, so what they end up eating in the confines of a DT is rather unpredictable. Throw in some animals they do not naturally co-exist with in nature and now you are up for a game of roulette. Not mentioned in the source above but the juvenile one tend to be more herbivorous, where the adults eat sponge and the associated benthic animals within the sponge.

I will say I think it can be done, but the road is not often traveled. There is a fellow over on Reef Central that has had several reef tanks with marine angels over the years and was even a tank of the month twice. I recall his name being John Copps, but is fuzzy. His tips were very large system volumes, heavy feedings, heavy sponge growth. I think he might have even had a list of what corals you cannot keep with angels and what angels you cannot keep with corals. I don't recall anemones being discussed. This goes back 10-15 years so it's unlikely he is still there with the same tanks; but his content should still be archived. I would highly recommend you go find it and read through it.

BluewaterLa likes this.
  14. clsanchez77

15. The GOB

The GOB Flasher Wrasse

Copps is still on RC; he's pretty much the angelfish whisperer. He also sells some amazing SPS on RC.

BluewaterLa and clsanchez77 like this.
  16. Marcus Alexander

Update time!

To ease everyone's worries the emperor will NOT be in the harem build. Unfortunately he passed away during the quarantine.

I have added several anemones to the the tank and have removed most of the soft corals. A few mushrooms got to stick around. I am still looking for more anemones. I am hoping that @seth&angelle at Coral Fever will be able to help in the endeavor.

John at AquaHut is helping me with the order of clowns from Sustainable Aquatics. I'm thinking somewhere between 25-31 clowns total.

Please see the attached pictures of the tank to date.

Next improvement:
    Add an Ecotech Mp40
    Add automatic feeders in preparation for maintaining food aggression

Attached Files:

17. clsanchez77

'{{{'

That really sucks, I loved that fish. 25-31 clowns??? -bonk-

The auto feeder is a cool idea. What do you have in mind for yours? I am dosing Reef Nutrition products - pricey, but I love the results.

18. seth&angelle

seth&angelle Coral Fever LLC LARC Supporting Vendor LARC Supporter POTQ Winner

I have some of these
    IMG_3287.JPG

19. Marcus Alexander

It was very unfortunate. That fish is the only reason I actually got into the hobby .
    No worries maybe in the distant future when I get a larger tank.

I know that sounds insane to have so many clowns, but they will all be incredibly small. Lots of room to grow with minimal threat to aggression.

I'll be freezing pellets, rod's food, and frozen mysis

BluewaterLa and clsanchez77 like this.
  20. Marcus Alexander

I will definitely like at least one of those.

clsanchez77 likes this.