Coralline Algae

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by Anonymous, Jul 18, 2006.

1. What is the best way to keep coralline algae out of the seams of your tank without tearing up the silicone? I have a magnetic scraper, but it is tough on the silicone. The snails can't seem to keep up. Thanks.

2. ive never seen a snail eat coraline but the only thing that i know that might do the trick is an urchin

3. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

Tooth brush? That's one of my most invaluble weapons in the war agaisn't algae.l :D

4. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

Ditto on the toothbrush.

5. a toothbrush really should do that much in the way of coraline with other algaes yes but certainly not coraline?

6. possibly fingernails. You might be able to pick it off without tearing up the silicon

7. that actually might work, hey zach is that something u leaned from john or junior? hehe

8. use an algae scraper. not a magnetic one, the one thats mounted on a stick. that should work

9. kent marines scrappers(the ones i assum you are reffering to ) will also do dammage to sillicon, they are basically a duld(cant spell) version of a razor blade

10. i have no clue wat kind it is. want a picture? i havent seen any damage at all from mine, and if it does, ill drive on over to wal mater and get a fifteen dollar tube of sillicone and go to work

11. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

My tooth brush will take off Coraline algae, just get the hard bristle, not the soft scrub. :lol:

12. thanks

Thanks y'all for the help. I will have to get to scrapin'. But it looks like I am out of luck when it comes to scraping algae with my fingernails. I bite the heck out of them. :oops:

13. if i were you, i'd realize that your tank would be full of water at that time.

14. that wont work well because the new silicon wont bond to the original silicon and even if u tried to scrape the old silicon off(which is impossible) it still wouldnt bond well because that old silicon is still in the pours of the glass

15. I use a credit card

16. afex........christians tank doesn't have water in it right now :lol: