Coralline

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by robharold, Apr 28, 2006.

1. robharold

robharold Montipora Coral

Can you guys tell me what corraline algae looks like when it first shows up? I have what looks like salt on a black cloth. My back glass is painted black and there are white calcified spots all over it. Coiuld this be the start of Corraline growth?

Thanks

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That could be coraline growth, is it smooth or feel like a bump? If it is bumpy it may be the little worm/feather critters that grow in most of our sumps. If the lighting is low they will grow in the tank. If it is smooth or flat and continues to grow in a radial pattern on the glass and is purple guess would be Corline.

3. robharold

robharold Montipora Coral

I reached in to feel the stuff. It is definately a little bump. It is white no noticeable color. If these are the worms, are they good, bad or indifferent?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Indifferent, I don't mind them in my sump or on the underside of rock but I'm not a big fan of them on the glass. Me, I would clean them off of the glass, but they do provide some type of filtration of sorts. IMO

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The coralline starts off as a white spongish looking and turns to purple when it matures.