Crosshatch Trigger

Discussion in 'Fish' started by francisnguyen, Apr 16, 2006.

1. francisnguyen

francisnguyen Spiny Star Astraea

here's a mighty good question, i dont think anyone's ever discussed this on the forums...

im tinkering with the idea of having a trigger in a reef tank. so far what ive come up with is that nearly all triggers are hit and miss, much like angels. if that were the case, i wouldn't mind taking the risk so much, but what i do worry about is the trigger's appetite for smaller fish (or any fish for that matter). would my current inhabitants be compatible with it. as of now the fish-stock in my tank goes:
    -barlett's anthias (3)
    -sohal (its only a baby, approx 3in long)
    -yellow tang (about the same size 3in)
    -flash wrasse (2, one male & one female)
    -lubbocks fairy wrasse (1)
    -blueside fairy wrasse (1)
    -diamond spot goby (1)
    -pinkspot goby (1, in refug)
    -bluespot jawfish (1)

and lets say i did chance it with the crosshatch trigger... i know i stand a chance of losing all my fairy wrasses and anthias or maybe im mistaken... some input would help

oh yeah, plus i got a decent amount of sps frags and lps and softies.

also would i have to worry about my motile inverts?

2. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

crosshatch triggers get very large, i think around 16 inches. that is really their only downfall. they may eat a small, weak fish. they usually arent nippers. shouldnt bother inverts except for the smallest ones. the real problem you have is your sohal tang. if i remeber correctly you have a 90g way to small for either a sohal or a crosshatch.

3. francisnguyen

yeah i got that sohal cuz i couldnt resist. i am graduating up to a 135 as soon as i can get motivated to start it up. and not to count my chicks before their hatched... im tinkering with the idea of a 6ft x 3ft x 3ft inwall tank... and im definitely releasing the sohal once it gets over 6inches

4. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

i used to take care of a 240 that had a 16" sohal. the only other fish that survived with the sohal was a 14" imerator angel that grunted so load it vibrated the tank every time the sohal got near. also there was about 40 blue devil damsels that never went any further then 3" away from the rock work. i have a scar on my wrist from that fish.

5. francisnguyen

yeah that sohal is quite an animal... it was skiddish the first week or so, but afterwards... its starting to dominate even the inverts... :roll:

6. francisnguyen

i meant release it from my grasps... id most likely donate it b4 i really release it... but a of now im enjoying its antics... esp when the sohal and the bluespot jawfish mingle

7. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

I had a sohal before I moved. Beautiful animal. Was very well behaved at first. But, once it got to the 3-4" range, it started tearing my sailfin up, it harassed a wrasse so much it jumped out of the tank 3-4 times (it eventually died when it jumped when I wasn't home), and drove my GSM Clown into constant hiding. It was so agressive it would even STALK the sailfin in the darkness after lights out, swimming under all the rockwork to find him and chase him. Just like you, a (stupid) impulse buy on my part... best thing I ever did was trade him in over at Aquatic Specialties. I agree with the sentiment...get rid of it while it's small.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The Crosshatch Trigger will be fine, I have a blue Jaw that was the first fish I bought after the storm. Great fish, don't bother fish, coral, shrimp or anything. You'll be alright with the crosshatch, it's the availability and cost you need to worry about. :lol:

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Allow me to give you a tip Francis. Catch your Sohal and cut off one of his pectoral fins. This will cause him to swim around in circles. That will make him feel less constricted and bottled up due to the size of your tank. Think about it, if all the fish does is swim in circles he will never reach the confining walls of the tank......he will think he is back in the ocean.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The blue jaw trigger is a great fish. Very peaceful and well behaved for a trigger.
    I think the crosshatch would be awesome. Some others you might consider is pink tail or niger.
    I would never recomend this to anyone but I know a person that keep a humu humu in a fully stocked reef tank and had no problems. They even had a clam in the tank and it did not eat it. So I guess it goes back to the individual personality of the fish. Of course it could go the other way and have a crosshatch or blue jaw that tears up the tank and decides to taste everything. Later Lonny.

11. coryjac0b

coryjac0b Black Perc

yes, triggers are def hit and miss, i had a pair of bluejaws go on a 150$ buffet of shrimp, i couldn't have that, the triggers are back at rick's

12. Sean : EbN

Sean : EbN Emerald Crab

Hey guys...

I had a pair of Crosshatches in my 350 for about 6 months with NO problems. My male wasted away to nothing within a few days, I assume he had some severe parasites. My female, however, is doing GREAT!! I have a Powder Blue Tang that eats LPS and a Scopas Tang that bites the tips off of certain Acroporas. I have a Copperband Butterfly that likes to chase some of the small fairy wrasses. Of all of my fish... the nicest most tank respectful one is my 9 inch female Crosshatch Trigger.

I was holding out on another male until I could find a Golden Back Trigger but my search has been a difficult one. I did find a pair of "show" sized Golden Backs but the price was over $1500.00pr. A little TOO special for me. So I will get another male Crosshatch... probably this week!

I had a conversation with Jacob about his Blue-Jaws and I think that the Crosshatches, Sargassums and Golden Backs are even more reef suitable. Heck the GBs even have funny mouths not designed for anything other than light grazing.

Here's a BIG PROBLEM with the Crosshatches... they NEVER come in small and the males don't take on their dimorphic color until they are about 7 inches. A friend of mine got a male that was about 8 inches (average size on males sold in the industry) and he put it in his 215 reef and he felt that the tank was way too small.

You be the judge... AWESOME FISH just loves to swim!