custom sump

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Anonymous, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I need help with a sump. Does anyone know of a someone who makes custom tanks? I need a sump that is around 28"L 10"W and 16-18" deep. How much do you think it would cost for a custom tank this size in glass or acrylic. I really wish i could get a rubbermaid container this size but i cant find anything like that.
    Curt

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yeah i wish a 29 would fit, but it wont. Maybe i'll come down for a Meeting or something and we could have a tank building party or something.
    Curt

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i found a heavy duty trashcan today that is made for narrow areas. Its dimensions were 20.5 long x 11 deep x 30 high. I realize this isn't very long, but i think i could make this work as a good sump/fuge. Anyone see any reason why not? I realize its a bit on the tall size, but my stand is 36" so it will fit. it will make sump work difficult, but i think i could manage. i was also thinking i could maybe place a 5.5 gallon tank inside it, raise it with some PVC or something, and have a fuge inside it. having the water drain to trashcan and filling it up until it pours into the raised fuge and probably stay at a level of around 6" or so above the entire fuge tank. I'm planning to use a MagDrive 5 or 7 for my return. This sound ok to yall?
    Curt

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you think it would bulge too much? Im planning to only run it at around 12 gallons or so, so i would have plenty of room incase of power outage.
    Curt

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

how much do you think it would cost for me to build a 28" x 9" x 18" (19.5gallon) tank. I'm not so sure how easy it will be for me, but if cost effective, I think i should try.
    What materials should i use? Glass or acrylic. I want whichever is cheaper. I'd also probably need about 5 pieces for baffles.
    I'm thinking Drain from overflow / / / refugium // return pump
    if that makes any sense.
    Curt

7. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

I agree with Gary, 30" is way too tall for a sump in a 36" stand...you'll never be able to get your protein skimmer out of it to clean it, or any other equipment you may place in it, without great difficulty.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

how hard would it be to tie two 10 gallon tanks together. If it isnt that difficult, i think i would prefer to just do that and be done with it. Im also thinking about just getting a 15 tall and making sure it runs with enough extra capacity to hold extra water incase of a power outage.
    Curt

9. Kirk_M

It could be done, if your tanks are drillable. All you'd need is a few bulkheads and some pvc to tie them together.

10. kwiker

kwiker Neon Goby

I just made a sump out of a 20H. I like it. Total cost was about $55.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

could someone here help me find some information for connecting two 10 gallons together. Where would i get bulkheads from? Are the 10 gallon tanks at walmart able to be drilled. I know that the bottom is probably tempered, but are the sides? I'm heavily considering just buying a 15tall.
    Curt

12. Kirk_M

You can get bulkheads at just about any saltwater fish store... or order them online from USPLASTICS, MARINEDEPOT, PREMIUM AQUATICS and so on...

1" size is probably sufficient.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The 10's from Wally World are all tempered glass. I would get an Ice pick and heat it up with a torch, then melt through till you can get a dremel head with a diamond bit in there and then just grind out the hole to the size you need.

I would use 1'' bulkheads, so thats like a 1 5/8'' hold i think. Then get some 1/2 '' clear tubing from lows or HD to tie it together.

I, personaly, would make one of the 10's a fuge and make the other a place for your other stuff.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You coulod build a rack out of 2x4's to hold one and have it dtrain into the other, then pump up to the show tank.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i like the idea of using a rack and have one drain to the other. But i would still need to drain from one to the other. I'm going to go look for a 10 gallon or so tupperware container to drill, since that would be easier to do, and it would work well as the upper tank. i thinking for the lower 10 gallon, i could have the water drain into a chamber, have some bubble trapping baffles then have my return section, and the last section would be a refugium. Then i could use a T with a ball valve on my return to go back into the fuge. I really need help on how to either drill a 10 gallon from walmart, or how to drill a plastic container (if i can find one)
    Curt

16. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

For what it is worth I tried to drill a cheap 10gl from wal mart and mine shattered. Very thin Glass . I was using a dremel tool also. Just some food for thought. For a fuge I think the plastic rubber maid styler containers are just as good and easier to hook up.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The thing about using the rubermade/tupperware containers is that Silicone and Weld-on dont like to stick to them, if you use bulkheads, that shouldnt be much of a problem. And if you drain one into a 10 gal then you just drill a hole 1'' from the top so if your pump fails you dont make a big moldy mess.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i'm going to use two 10 gallon tupperware containers, and have one on a rack so its higher, and drain it into the other using a bulkhead. What size bulkhead should i use? Also, where should i put in a fuge?
    Curt

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For the fuge, you could dedicate one of the containers to that.

Put the fuge in the first (higher) one with your heater and some small things and drain that in to the second (lower) one. think that is the best way to avoid macro in the display.

I would use 2 1'' bulkheads, on on either side of one side, the volume of actual flow will depend on the rate that you pump water back up to the display.

If you use PC on the fuge, watch out for heat warping, ive seen containers like that melt. If you want to be ghetto and cheap, you can get NO fixtures at wally world for $7, ad $5 for sutible bulbs.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ok, i'm going to start working on this very soon. Any advice on attaching bulkheads? How high do you think the rack needs to be for the first container/fuge area. Should i have a small chamber for the water to drain from the main tank, to reduce the flow going through the fuge?
    Curt