Cycling a new tank

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by Anonymous, Apr 17, 2006.

1. I have been cycling a 75 gallon tank and my ammonia went up and nitrites went up and now there are no nitrites but, I still have ammonia. The nitrates are up also. So it seems like it cycled and is starting to cycle again. Is this right? The reason I ask is because I thought ammonia dropped before nitrites did. It has been over 2 years since I cycled one so I am running on fuzzy memories. If anyone can tell me if it is starting over or if it is going in the correct direction just let me know.
    The water is at:
    Nitrate 10-20
    Ammonia 0.50-1.0
    Nitrite 0
    Salinity is at 1.23-1.24

Thanks Chris.

2. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

3. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

looks like another cycle taking place if theres ammonia, could be caused by adding new livestock/uncured rock.

4. I haven't added anything to the tank since I put water in it, other than top off water. I thought it was weird that the ammonia never dropped but the nitrites went up and down. Actually the ammonia has dropped quite a bit but never went to zero. Thanks for responding Chris.

5. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

How long has the new tank been going?

6. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

what test kit are you using? some brands, like Red Sea, have a bad rep for giving incorrect readings . . . others, like Salifert, are highly regarded as being "very accurate" and are recommended over other brands

Also, u said its been a couple years- are these test kits new? dunno if that could be a culprit or not

7. Sorry, I should have put that on there to begin with. It has been cycling for almost 4 weeks. This is the first time I have done a fishless cycle. As for the kit I picked it up probably 3 months ago at Petco it is called Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit, and is made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.. I also have the little suction cup alert in there just because I had one laying around. Thanks Chris.

8. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

My tank "cycled" twice when I first set it up early last year. I got a second amonia spike a few weeks into the process when I started fooling with the rockwork. It was small in comparison to the initial off the charts amonia spike, but it still went through a mini cycle nonetheless.

9. That is what I was thinking is happening here or at least hoping is happening. Thanks Chris.