Did I buy to small of a pump?

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by Redfish, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Redfish Koran Angel

I bought a new Vectra M1 pump the other day to use as my new return pump,,, I got it calibrated, its online & doing great,,, I like this pump runs quiet and looks great,,, My question isn't about this pump though,, its about the Vectra S1 pump that I bought to replace my old manifold pump,,,

I have,, not sure what brand,, a pump that I got from the LFS a long time ago ( its a gray pump ) running my manifold system now,,, its the same brand pump that I was running as my return pump that I just replaced,,, the manifold pump is just a smaller version than that old return pump, its about 3/4 the size of the old return pump and I have no idea of the GPH,,, here is the thing ,, that manifold pump runs my GFO reactor and the new Chatto reactor,, it could run a low flow carbon reactor if I wanted it too,, what I don't think it could do,, is to also pump water up to my new small frag tank that I want to run off of my manifold pump.

That new Vectra S1 pump is supposed to pump 1400 GPH,,, the pump looks small compared to the M1 pump and is also smaller in appearance than my old LFS pump ,, I don't know what 1400 GPH looks like,, here comes the question :) do y'all think that 1400 GPH will run the GFO & Chatto reactor and push water up to that small frag tank and give it good flow,, its going to be a SPS frag tank,,, the frag tank sits next to my display tank,,, its not going far,,, ?

I am trying to figure out,, if I should go ahead and plumb the frag tank into that pump,, which is what I want to do or redo the plumbing off of the return pump ,, the M1 ,,, to the frag tank,, I know that M1 could do both jobs,, I just don't like having all my eggs in one basket,, so to speak,,, just using one pump,,,

On a side note,, I tried for a hour,,, calibrating that M1 pump the old fashion way,,, manually :) I couldn't get it done,, had a friend come over,, he did it thru the app on my phone :) I didn't think of that,, he did it in 15 min.

I had my tank running on "auto" for a long time,, I had kinda lost interest,, I am back to interested in my tank again,,, I knew I would be,,, that's why the tank didn't come down,,, so I deserve what is going on with the tank when it comes to my bad RO/DI water problem,,, in my other post,,, but we will get it fixed,,,

2. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Reefkeeping Extremist Global Moderator

The 1400 gph is nominal, usually assuming either no head or 4-ft of head. Actual head depends on a lot of things and is hard to nail down. I'm not sure what "not going far" looks like but pipe diameter and fittings are far more important than length of run :) Additionally, actual lift of water counts a lot as well and that part is fixed, does not matter on how close or far or what fittings or diameters. That is your starting point.

I am absolutely slammed right now at work, at home, with scouts and now coaching basketball. Normally I would love to run the numbers for you but right now I just can't. So instead, I will give you gut feeling. I think if it were just the tank, the S1 would be good enough and you could supplement with internal power heads. Now that you are adding reactors, I think you need the bigger pump.

No need to be self defeating. It happens to us all :D Bad RO particularly can sneak up on us and foul everything, no pun intended. I suspect the primary cause for that was an exhausted carbon prefilter...something we really have no easy way to track or test. You will recover though :)

Redfish, BluewaterLa and Humblefish like this.
  3. 6lilfish

6lilfish Ko-Ko Worm

S1 should run the manifold fine not a lot of head pressure or pressure loss on reactor manifold besides you don’t need a lot of flow through reactors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluewaterLa likes this.
  4. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

I can agree with this, though the OP did state he wanted to also return water up to a frag tank using the same pump.
    I am not sure what kind of flow would be left as I am not familiar with the performance of this particular brand pump.

My DC pump is rated around 1700 or so GPH and I run my main tank, manifold feeding two reactors and a refugium return that is slightly higher than the manifold itself. This does take a good portion away from the pump performance as for flow through the tank to sump but not bad at all.
    I can not compare the two being different brands and size pumps.
    Try it out and see how it performs, you can always upgrade and easily change out pump size if this one is not strong enough if budget allows of course.
    What I will say is to make sure you are using larger size pipe for you manifold and piping and not reduced size as most folks do and I have done myself.
    My pump has 1 1/4'' size volute spout and fitting and I reduced it down to 1'' to simplify my plumbing, this was a mistake as I soon found out via flow meter on my tank VS another similar system using the same pump with 1 1/4'' pipe for the plumbing all the way to the tank then reducing down at tank return nozzles and on the reactor ports down to 1/2''
    The difference in flow between the two is almost 800 gph at full speed.

Redfish likes this.
  5. Redfish Koran Angel

Geez,,, my brain is " fried" from work this time of the year,,, I was thinking,,, that always gets me in trouble ,,, that I didn't want to do all the plumbing from the S1 to the frag tank to only find out the pump wouldn't be big enough for the job,, then I would have to disassemble that plumbing and redo the plumbing off of the M1 pump to the frag tank,,,

The plumbing from the S1 pump to the frag tank consist of only running a piece of tubing off of my manifold to the intake on the frag tank,,, it would only take two min to do,,, lol ,,, if there isn't enough flow for the frag tank,,, then I will have some plumbing work to do,, splice into the return line from the M1 pump to the display tank,, take the return pipe off the M1 down to 1/2 inch,, put a value in the line ,, put on a hose barb ,, run the tubing to the back of the frag tank,,, done,,, dang brain getting old,, I got this :)

BluewaterLa likes this.
  6. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

For sure man you got this, and I really think you will be happy with this rig you are talking about here.
    For the frag tank you just need a couple hundred gallons per hour, not much going through the frag tank and back to the sump for filtration purposes. You will still need to put a good power head pump in there to keep the corals happy, good flow equals happy frags and faster growth in most cases.
    Should not be an issue changing pumps out if you need to as the plumbing should be close to the same or quick enough to modify it to a larger pump.

I wish I would have drilled my secondary tank with two 3/4'' bulkheads or 1'' even, I wound up drilling 30 mm holes to accommodate 1/2'' bulkheads. They are fine for the intended purpose I suppose but do not give me the In/Out flow I was looking for due to the smaller size I utilize my primary drain as full siphon and the supposed to be emergency as a durso of sorts to keep up with a higher return rate I wanted.
    So just messing with a pump is not as bad as going too small on the dang drain bulkheads LOL.
    Who would have thought the king of ''overkill'' did not go overboard on this one thing, See what happens hahaha.

Redfish likes this.
  7. 6lilfish

6lilfish Ko-Ko Worm

If the S1 isn’t big enough to do all that you want I’m sure the M1 isn’t big enough to do reactors and frag tank I would think do the frag tank with the S1 and add the reactors to the M1. I would think the S1 will do the reactors and frag tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluewaterLa likes this.