Dividing a tank for a mantis, what materials to use?

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by coryjac0b, Jul 10, 2006.

1. coryjac0b

coryjac0b Black Perc

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this so i'll post it here, i was wondering if its possible for me to use an egg crate or some other type material to section off my aquarium to have a section for a mantis, i dont want to have to do a whole new setup. Maybe even an eggracte wrapped in some sorta of mesh or plastic screening material to prevent other fish from passing through and becoming pray. i want to know if this has been down before and or if it is this possible. The tank ill have is a 90g. I was thinking maybe sectioning it off at like 40 or 42 inches, to give the mantis either 11.5 or 15 gallons of swimming room. The tank is 48x24x18, FYI. i want to stay away from using any type of glue.

2. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

just set up a 10g easy and extremely cheap. you can do water changes with water you take from your 90. maybe a couple peices of small live rock(so he can feel secure) and a light covering of sand. get a used bak pak skimmer and your set. cheap-n-easy mantis set up.

3. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

even cheaper would be to not use a skimmer at all.

I'd go with crushed coral for substrate and put at least a few large chunks of LR in the tank...Mantis shirmp do love to dig burrows.

Also, depending on the type of shrimp you're looking to keep, many of hte more common species do not grow very large at all, so a really cheap 5g plexiglass/acrylic tank is perfect.

here's some pics to get you pumped up. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

I just had to throw this one out here...and for the record, this is NOT me!!
    [​IMG]

5. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

I think you got the wrong person excited, I want one too now lol

6. coryjac0b

coryjac0b Black Perc

yeah i think im gonna wait and just get a 10-15g tank, i have a prizm skimmer sitting around i can use on it.

7. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

i mis my little mantis shrimp. :cry:

8. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

I feel your pain Typo. I lost all my mantis shrimp last summer when the AC went out :(

Jake, let me know when you're ready...I've got a few small tanks lying around I could let you use...

9. kwiker

kwiker Neon Goby

10. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

man i need to do some research, but i wanna get one of those guys. How often do you have to feed them, or really how often do yu have to re-stock the snails?

11. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

I used to feed mine about 2x every week. They really seemed to like those "shrimp pellets" you can get at walmart. Dont' plan to "stock" snails in the tank...the shrimp will just "collect" them all. Instead add a snail or two every week....the shrimp will find them and do it's thing.

There's really not much to taking care of these things. They're like the damsels of the shrimp-type family.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

RIP Sir Blinksalot

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What would be the best way to go about aquiring one of these little buggers, i have a 10 gal that im setting up and im not realy a "fish" person (i like to watch things get killed)?

14. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

the absolute best way is to order one. second best order tamp bay saltwater live rock. as far as your liking to watch things get killed, im sure there are good psychotherapist in your area that can help with that. ;)

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

SHhhhhhhhhhhhhh secret...

i like to watch things get killed too...

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hmmm, all this talk of mantis shrimp has got me wanting one. i need a ten gallon. ill just wait for my firebelly toad to die :twisted:

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

well crap, it did die :( looks like i got bad karma. oh well. like i said that tanks gonna be used for a mantis shrmp. anyone know the best place to get em? i know live aquaria has lime greens for $18.99 and clowns for $44.98.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You might want to wait till your other tank is sorted out and you have gotten a little more expirence, not to be a buzz kill or anything.

BTW, funniest thing ever, watching 2 5in. Freshwater angels chase 1 molly fry around a 29 gallon. Just happened, in my room.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

itll be awhile until i get the mantis tank up, just wonderin about em