Do you feed your SPS?

Discussion in 'Small Polyp Stonies' started by Anonymous, Jul 9, 2006.

1. I am about to order some SPS from Reefer Madness. My question is, do you feed your SPS and if so what have you found to be the most beneficial?

2. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

I used coral vibrance, just started using it so i can't tell you anything positive on it. But all of the reviews i've read on it are great. In the past I used dt's phytoplankton and all the polypys wold close up for a few minutes then come back out but i never noticed a change. Travis uses dt's oyster eggs and noticed a change in coloration i think

3. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

Yeah, I am using DT's Oyster Eggs and am haveing good results. The colors went from Brown to Greens and Blues and Purples. Definantly a must for any SPS tank.

4. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

corals, especially sps do not need to be fed. they get 95% of their food from photosynthesis that takes place within their tissues(which is why lighting is so important). the other 5% is usually covered by the waste of fish that swim near the corals. feeding your sps is basically feeding your filter feeding inverts(maybe), but mostly just polluting your tank.

5. Travis

IME, I would have to somewhat disagree.

If there is a large Bioload (lots of fish) then yeah, they could be right, but in nutrient poor environments, it is a MUST to feed them.

6. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

Im with travis on that...if you read any good article on small polyp stoney corals (borneman, shimek to name some), the consensus is that they indeed do need to feed....we can not provide 1/10000 of the food thats on a reef in our home aquarium, thats why we need to supplement some type of food for them

7. Thanks everyone,
    I know my tank has very little bioload or any free nutrients. Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates have been zero for months now. That is why I am interested in doing SPS, I was waiting for all parameters to stabilize at desired levels for an extended period and wanted to if feeding was beneficial, DT oyster eggs sounds like a good start

8. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

then why do we have to light our corals in order for them to survive? why cant we just feed them and keep them thriving that way?

did anyone see deep blue sea last weekend about corals. it eplains how corals get their food.

id prefer to listen to that type of scientific research rather than someone who is selling product.

most of this 'coral food' is made of muscles, squid, oyster eggs, phytoplanktons and other ground up high nutrient concoctions that no coral in the wild will ever come across. puting the stuff in your tank creates an environment which is no longer nutrient free. not exactly how corals thrive.

9. Travis

I'm not saying that it's a scientific fact, I am just saying that when I started to feed my coral, I saw positive reactions from my coral. Why do you think they have tenticles? The Algae on their skin is what takes in the light. The tenticles take in food. JMO/E..if that means anything. I am just offering a different point of view.

I saw more Polyp Extention and better color, vibrent color. I like the eggs

10. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

I agree wiht travis n a way. The lighting increases the coloration of corals, espcally sps. I had many peices of sps "survive" under compat florescents, but none had the color that they have under halides. They grew and survied maybe because i fed them regularly. But i think it is a combination of feeding and light that makes sps thrive.

11. Travis

Actually, color intensity is determend by how much UV light they are beeing exposed to. The coloration is NOT the algae that takes in the light for photosenthysis, but is essetialy a sunblock agaisnt the UV light. So if there is no UV light the coral will "brown out", which is why SPS is not suggested for less intence lighting such as PC and NO bulbs, there's just not enough if any UV light.

But back to the enitial quettion. IMO/E feeding helps. My Purple Bonsai had little, often no polyp extention, but not after I started feeding the Eggs, there is an ubundance of PE.

12. im spsing

im spsing Fire Shrimp

Travis, could your polyp extension and colors changing have anything to do with the sand...and not what you are feeding? I have a all sps in my 29 gallon and many of them were starting to lighten up and PE was decreasing. I started to read and figured that my nutrient level was to low. That day i put sand in the tank and an hour later i had the best polyp extension ive ever had and the corals are still the same and darkening in color oday...2 days later.

Just my thoughts,
    Ryan

13. Travis

Even with sand in the tank, my PE was still very low. Now that I am target feeding with the Eggs, the PE is outstanding.

14. 04goat, Obviously there's lots of opinions on feeding. If you're just starting out with SPS I suggest you lean toward the low nutrient side for a while and then experiment with feeding. There are people who have run sps only for many years without a drop of food so you know that can be done. What we all know for a fact is that high phos/nitrate/etc will hurt your chances of success. Just a suggestion ... good luck.

15. Travis

Right, I can agree with that. Poor water quality will kill the SPS. Haveing "high or low nutrienent" water dosn't mean haveing lots of, or lack of, nitrates, phosphates, and other bad stuff, it means haveing actuall FOOD in the water colum.

16. Thanks all for your responses.
    I will be patient I don't want to kill everything the first week I put it in. I'll go without feeding at first and see how that works, then try feeding and compare results. My 24DX Cube has been up and running now since last November, I have only my clean up guys and a yellow watchman(he's cool). All my parameters have been steady for several months now or I would not attempt SPS.
    I own and have read all 3 volumes of Delbeek and Sprung "The Reef Aquarium". Very good info, some dated but all good, very good water chemistry info. Volume three makes me want to build my own, maybe in a few years, when I decide where I want to live since we were displaced from Plaquemines Parish (Buras), Abbeville is temporary.
    One thing I forgot to mention was that I actually have 2 encrusting SPS that have volunteered from my LR. One is a beige with brown polyps and the other is a bright green with almost purple polyps. They show polyp extension almost 24 hours a day. They are about the size of a nickle each. I'll have to post some photos to see if you can ID for me, I won't be home for another week though.
    Thanks again, I will consider all the opinions and appreciate the response

17. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

the best advice you can probably get is read, read, read, then read some more. try different things, see what works best. the best thing about this hobby is no one way is right. many different things work in different situations.

18. Travis

Agreed ^^^

19. How are things back in Buras? Guess it'll never be the same around there. Any of the stores reopening (Tom's, Petrovich, etc.)

20. I was there 2 weeks ago to retrieve a few things, the house I rented was amazingly undamaged, it was built about 12 feet off the ground. They have restored utilities all the way to Venice. When I first went back there after Katrina, about six weeks later I couldn't believe the devastation. No grocery stores yet or gas south of Belle Chasse, oilfield suppliers are back up and running

Sure am going to miss the seafood at Camp's and the steaks at Tom's