egg smell

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by rob34, Apr 24, 2006.

1. rob34

rob34 Emerald Crab

My tank was doing fine , but their is always a but anyway I had red algae growing and overcrowed my mushroom so I changed lighting cycle. My tank started to change and I lost some items but that chaeto algae was growing well. Now everything in my tank died and my house smells like my kid put a easter egg somewhere and it turned bad but it is my tank. What happened??????? I had to empty my whole tank just to remove the smell.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Could you give us a little more info? What are your nitrate, nitrites, ammonia, ph, levels etc. How long has the tank been up and running? If you could tell us more about the system, we could give you some better advice.
    Sean

3. rob34

rob34 Emerald Crab

I didn't check my levels, but my tank was up and running for 7 months.

4. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

run carbon.

5. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

Not to get off subject, but hte best thing i found to kill cyanobacteria (aka red algea) is called chemi clean. I auctalyl use it every month or so just to keep organics from building up in the water.

6. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

chemi clean works but its nothing more than a band-aid on a wound. If you dont find and eliminate the problem thats causing the cyano, it will come back no matter how many times you use chemi clean.

7. Palancar

Palancar Ex-Acan Collector LARC Supporter

rob34 lets talk about the smell are we talking rotten egg smell or something less? If it is the rotten egg smell it is hydrogen sulfide gas and you probably have or had a dead spot or spots either under a sand bed or rocks. It is easy to identify when you find it or them it will be black in color, stain the sand or rock black and will smell like rotten eggs, they are formed by anaerobic bacteria.

[​IMG]