First Hole In Glass

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Travis, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

I finaly cut a hole on a glass tank, AGA 20L to be exact. I used the Dremel Product Number 7150 to get the job done, and I couldn't have been happier with it.

Here are the pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It wasn't hard at all, it just took about 20 Minutes to cut it.

2. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

looks good, congrats!

did you just use the bit and drill a hole straight through, then grind it out to size?

i ended up buying a dremel a few weeks ago to do a little modificaton on an acrylic sump i had bought- i hope to be able to play around with the diamond bits and some glass . . .

3. Travis

Jcraft, I used the two bits that came with the 7150 Package, which was one Ball Tip, and the other was a Tappered Tip. You use the Ball Tip to go half way through the glass, then you use the Tappered Tip to finish the job.

Steve, I have heard of some people using Diomand Hole Saws, but you can only find them on eBay and they are imported from Hong Kong.

4. "HOLEY MOLEY", nice cut. was it hard on the dremel, or did it slice right through that glass like a hot knife through butter?

5. Travis

It wasn't hard on the dremal at all, I just cranked it up all the way and took it to town lol. It wasn't as easy as a hot knife cutting through butter, as it did take 20-30 minutes, but it wasn't realy all that hard.

6. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

word of advice to anyone else thinking of doing this on their own. make SURE you keep the bit lubed while your cutting with it. If you do not the bit will get soo hot that the diamonds on the tip will melt off and ruin the bit (yes i know this from experience) :roll:

7. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

You can find diamond hole saws other than on ebay...it's recommended you use them on a drill press with light pressure, with a rubber or clay dam filled with antifreeze. Using a press keeps things much more steady than a hand held drill. Expect to pay near $30 for a 1" hole saw.

http://www.shopsmartxpress.com/AmeriGls/MAIN.htm

8. well your holding us all in suspense! now that you cut the hole whats goin on wit da tank :?:

9. Travis

It was a practice hole lol.

I may end up running it as a frag tank, but I'm not sure at the moment.

10. Sean : EbN Emerald Crab

Hello everyone,

This will be my first post here on the LARC. Seems like there are a lot of us reef nuts in Louisiana!

Personally I prefer the TC1 Rotozip bit for tile cutting. You can chuck it in a Dremel or rotary tool (Rotozip, DeWalt, etc.) and plunge right through the glass and cut the hole with the same bit. Here are some pics of some holes I drilled in a 3/8" glass tank for use as a sump on my new display system.

I know the holes are a little sloppy but for 5 minutes and a 6 dollar bit I was thrilled!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Great stuff... I'm going back to forum surfing now...

LATER!

11. Sean : EbN Emerald Crab

Oops forgot to say that I lubricated the bit with running water from the hose.

Thanks!

12. If you guys need to do holes I have a 2" diamond tip hole saw that is avalible for use. I've done ove 60 tanks with it and it is easy. I will need to find the drill press we used, we modified a cheap one to make it short to drill tanks.

13. crap-o-la I just came across your post about the 2" saw Jammer.
    I ordered a 2" diamond hole saw Tuesday. How long would it take to cut thru .5" glass with a 2" bit? I need to drill 4 holes. Gotta plan for enough beer yanno. :D

14. Dem is some pretty holes. I have been known to do that with a butane tourch and a drillbit.

15. Travis thank for the info on the bits!
    I just got finished drilling a hole in a 20L took about 15 min.

Now I need to go and by some more salt and sand. going to set it up as a prop tank right next to my 75.

thanks again

16. Travis

cool, no problem. post a pic.

17. I went ahead and mad another hole last night and it came out just as good as the first. the only thing is the bit was not cutting to good half way through the 2nd hole but got it done. soory cant show the cut the bulkheads are already attached and I dont want to remove them.

[​IMG]

18. Travis

Looks great! Just be sure to run a water test to make sure the glass dosn't want to crack.

19. I ran a test all of last night. everything looks good