Fish ,, Fish Food & Nitrates

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Redfish, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Redfish Postasaurus Rex

I am doing about a 17 g water change weekly on my 155 g system with a very light fish load in the tank ,, a Orange sholder Tang this is a pretty big fish ,, 2 Black Ice Clowns ,, a pretty good sized, hardly ever seen Marine Betta ,, a very large old Choris Wrasse, not sure how much longer he will be with us :( ,,,

I am adding fish :) A Blonda Nasso Tang yesterday from a friend that is taking down her tank also will be adding from my friend a male & female pair of gobies & the shrimp that comes with them ,, a Mallanarious Wrasse, sure I spelled that wrong,, and a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse ,, my plan is to purchase several more fish ,, a Clown Wrasse, about 3 more Flasher Wrasse's and Midas Blenny .

My question ,, I am sure Nitrates are going up & I know this question is sort of based on how much I feed the fish, and what my Nitrates top out at ,,, I have always thought of water changes being ,, not coral friendly ,, the larger the water change, the less my corals seem to grow ,, so I guess my question is ,, how large of a weekly water change ,,, is to large and I should be looking to add ,, say a Algae scrubber if the water changes can't keep nitrates down ,, or am I worrying about nothing :)

A second question :)

I am starting to get a aptisia problem ,, when I had Peppermint Shrimp I never had a problem ,, now there are none in the tank,, all I ever hear is they will eat your zoas,, I really never had a problem with thim in the past,, most of my zoas were the pest kind of zoas ,, you know the ones,, grow like weeds in the tank,, if the P. shrimp were eating them,, I couldn't tell because they grew to fast :)

I am thinking of adding a Copperband Butterfly fish,, all I ever hear about them ,,, really hard to keep alive :( whats up with this fish ,, whats true? Should I go with adding P Mint shrimp along with adding a CBB Fish ?

2. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

I've heard of folks claiming that their peppermint shrimp started to snack on Zoa's after the aiptasia anemones were gone.
    While I can not and will not say its impossible for this to happen, I do however think that it is more of a situation where the shrimp are not getting enough food after they do their jobs.
    Remember that nothing is guaranteed in reefing, so it may be possible that the shrimp were eating on small aiptasia within the Zoa colony / frag OR they just started in on the next closest thing for food.
    I really do think it comes down to having a good diverse diet for all your critters in the tank.
    Just like having the zombie snails, most folks never feed them some chopped fish or pellets at night and wonder why they died off, everything needs to eat.

For your Nitrates, Yes they will likely go up but it should not be an issue or much more water to change out if your feeding habit remains the same just increase the amount of food to satisfy all the fish.
    If you are having to do water changes regularly or larger water changes and seeing some not so good affects on the corals you may want to pay close attention to three main things that can cause fluctuations.
    Temperature, Sg and very important is DKH.
    Make sure that these three match your display with the new made water and you will be fine. Some salts mix really high or really low from what the display tank is used to and can cause some irritation in corals, same with temperature and Sg.
    If you are removing a ton of the Nitrate with one water change this too can cause some stress in corals as it is a large change really fast.
    One last thing is to keep things the same and see how the levels are acting with the new additions of fish in the tank.
    You may be surprised to find that your tank will do just fine or even better with higher nitrates compared to what others keep theirs at.

Redfish likes this.
  3. Redfish Postasaurus Rex

I am most likely stressing over nothing ,, I have had really high Nitrates in the past ,,, its kinda hard to get them back down ,,, just test test test :)

BluewaterLa likes this.
  4. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

Remember as your corals grow into larger colonies they will help reduce the amount of dissolved ''waste'' in your tank.

Redfish likes this.