Flow for a 120

Discussion in 'Filtration, & Other Equipment' started by Jcraft, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Jcraft

Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

This will be a SPS dominated tank- very few softies and some LPS.

I'm pretty much using all my equipment from my other tanks . . . so for flow this is what I have:

Return: I have a Mag9.5 not being used . . . I don't want to be pushing this much water through my sump, but the return line will be T'd off to feed my 30g prop tank, so there will be some headloss- I'm thinking in the ballpark of 500gph reaching the display . . .

Closed Loop: I have a GenX 40 pump being used on my 58g that pumps out 1190gph . . . I also have been talking to someone who is selling a Sequence Dart for cheap- never used. That would be substantially more flow. I'm thinking 2 outlets for the GenX and up to 6 if I go the Dart route. These will be over the top since I don't want to drill the back of the tank.

Powerheads: I have 2- Tunze Stream 6000's on a multicontroller for this. I can always upgrade the transformer to make them stronger . . .

Ya'll think that should be enough flow?

2. bmb527

bmb527 Marine Betta

I would say scrap the Mag and Gen:mad: and just get the Dart. With some ball or gate valves, you could run everything and still control the flow where you want it. Why do you not want much flow through your sump? I know about a slow flow in a refugium being desireable, but I have never heard of keeping flow low in the sump. Just wondering.
    Bill

3. Jcraft

Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

that could work, i never thought of just using one big pump for everything . . . the only problem I forsee is that there is no room to plumb an external pump under my stand from the return section, since it is in the middle.

As for the flow, I figure I could cut down the microbubbles and give my skimmer a chance to pull out all the gunk better with low flow versus 900 or so gph flying through

4. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

High flow through a sump increases the return of microbubbles (especially from a needlewheel skimmer) to the tank. Slow flow allows the bubbles a longer time to dissapate before they hit the return area -- even with bubble traps, you'll get micros returned to the tank with high sump flow. Also, slower flow into the sump increases the contact time the water has with the protein skimmer. If you're pumping it out rapidly, and your skimmer pump is only doing, say 300 gph, with a sump turnover rate of 1100 gph, your skimmer's just simply not doing the job as effectively. I guess it will all work out in the wash, eventually, but, I believe the biggest deal is reducing microbubble return to the tank. I guess higher flow would be good if you had a lot of mechanical filtration occuring in your sump.

I would think that the 2 x 6000 streams alone would probably be close to enough flow in a 120 :) You're generating 3600 GPH of flow at MAX output from those alone. I think what Bill said about just going with the Dart is good info too...skip all the other pumps...your electric bill will thank you :).

5. bmb527

bmb527 Marine Betta

In addition to the electric bill issue, the way the heat is going so far this year, the submersible pumps aren't going to help the water temp at all either. Even a chiller will have to work a bit harder than normal. Or is this heat about average? I just can't believe it is nearly 90 at 3:00 in the morning!
    Bill