Freshwater dipping zoanthids

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Kirk_M, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Sammy put me on this a few months back...a lot of people also seem to do this, but, for those who don't, I can't stress enough that you do a freshwater dip on all new zoanthid colonies you add to your tank. Zoas are kind of my addiction, and I can't stop myself from picking up anything that is a nice color morph, so, I guess I'd be pretty vulnerable to parasites if I didn't follow this dipping protocol. Today I picked up a really nice looking yellow morph with a neon green skirt from one of the LFS. I got it home, and dipped it for 2-3 minutes in RO/DI water after swishing it in the bag water to get any gunk out of the polyps' mat. What bailed out is disturbing... two asterina stars, 20+ baby sundial snails, two zoa eating nudibranch, some flatworms, and, something I am assuming were redbugs. I've never seen redbugs before, but, these things looked like fleas -- kind of transparent with big red dots on their abdomen area -- does that fit the description? I know they don't eat zoas, and since I don't have any acropora in my tank, they'd probably of starved, but, the thought of zoa colonies being a method of transport for these pests into an SPS tank is kind of chilling. Of course, it killed off all the pods and the baby brittle stars too, but, the polyps are now happy as can be, it seems, in my tank, with no ill effects from the dip.

Edit: I found this picture of them that Snausages had posted on RC... this is EXACTLY what came off the zoa colony.

[​IMG]

2. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

Kirk - not to name names but was the LFS one of the Metairie/Kenner stores?

3. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

wow, thats a lot of unwanted hitchhikers there...kirk, what do you do to other coral (non-zoanthid) before you put it in your tank?

4. Kirk_M

Yeap...there's nowhere else to buy in my neck of the woods :(

5. Kirk_M

Well, I really don't have anything other than LPS and zoanthids...I have two leathers: sarcophyton elegans and a sinularia I got from Sean.

I am not sure how kindly LPS would take to a FW dip, so I've never done it. I only have one SPS, a monti cap I got from Greg, which I didn't dip.

It's just a matter of me not knowing what can resist it and what can't. Zoas close up pretty tight, and are often exposed for long periods of time to the sun during low tide, so, I assume they're pretty tough and can resist it very well.

Sorry I can't help more on it.

6. nonthing like buying a new piece that includes an infestation of trash. Got to love the freshwater dip thought

7. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

So glad I read this post...I noticed a recent purchase of zoos were not opening today(bought Sat.). When I went to take a closer look I saw some sort of critters on it so I took them out and did a RO dip and I feraked out how many hith hikers jumped off. From now on all new zoos will be dipped for sure.

8. Now the worries are how many of the little hitchiker mannaged to jump off from the zoos and are now makeing a new home in the other critters

9. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

Yea I thought of that too!!! I dipped al my zoos. All I can do is keep a close eye on everything else but so far no other signs of anything. The critters I had on the zoos looked like a small nudi. I did see some pods in the ro water too and a bristle worm.

10. :shock: whoa. well anyway my tank is so screwed up nuthin can live in it :lol: phwew that solves my worries. cant wait to get it restarted tho :confused:

11. 110reef

110reef Aussie Rainbow Acan

This thread goes back before Kirk had sps. Now he is the master! I guess there is still hope for the rest of us! :D

12. Kirk_M

Some people just have talent :)

13. tnguy86

tnguy86 CrossHatch Trigger Forum Moderator LARC Supporter

wow, i just read this thread and was TOTALLY confused with kirk not having sps... hahahha

14. kveille

kveille Ko-Ko Worm

Can someone walk me through the steps of a freshwater dip for zoas? How do you acclimate the zoa's after the freshwater dip?

15. SLUSamson

SLUSamson CrossHatch Trigger

take em out, dump em in, let them sit for 2-5 minutes, shake em around to shake off any dead stuff, and dump em back in your tank... it's really simple... Zoanthids are very hardy and they'll just close up for a little while after the dip... Only thing I'd do for the ro/di water is make sure it's at least room temperature before you dip them...

16. kveille

kveille Ko-Ko Worm

Is this the same process if you bought them from a store or another person? I am just wondering about brining the salinity up to that of your tank.

17. Kirk_M

I do it regardless of where it came from. For what it's worth... and not that I am suggesting this to anyone... I haven't acclimated a coral for 4 years or so now. They get dipped for the proper amount of time and the appropriate dip solution according to what kind of coral it is (hard vs soft vs zoanthids), and then they go right into my tank. I don't even acclimate fish or snails. I don't keep shrimp, and I have only acclimated a starfish within the last 4 years.

18. tnguy86

tnguy86 CrossHatch Trigger Forum Moderator LARC Supporter

same here.. i just never wanted to admit to it bc i dint want to be caught by the acclimation police... so long as temp and saliniity are the same, they go right into the tank....

19. robharold Montipora Coral

I float and drop most stuff.

20. 110reef

110reef Aussie Rainbow Acan

Just keep in mind with fish that most stores will run copper in their fish tanks, and if you drop that water in your tank it may adversely affect your invertebrates. I was always in the habit of cutting holes in the bag and letting it float to mix the water and acclimatize the fish, but that introduces the bagged water to the tank. Now, I will mix water in a separate bucket and net the fish into the tank.

I would recommend acclimatizing fish for sure, especially some more sensitive fish like tangs, angels etc. (also Moorish Idols :D )