FULL!!!

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by Travis, Mar 30, 2006.

?

To upgrade or not to upgrade?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

Hey guys, I am thinking about upgrading the 20H to something like a 29g or a 40B. It's filling up super fast and I still want more!

Should I upgrade or should I be content with what I have?

2. Didn't you upgrade to the 20H less than one year ago?

If you've got the time and money, I say go for it.

3. Travis

Well, the 20H is my post Hurricane Rita tank, so at the time money was tight.

4. Travis

Another option is to set up a frag/propagation tank for all the extra coral I "want".

5. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

Well since I just upgraded, I vote for upgrading :D

6. Upgrade

I'm upgrading from a 75g to a 120g. The new one has been sitting empty in my office. Still waiting to buy all that I need to upgrade. Expensive idnit?

7. Well upgrading from a 20h to a 29 or 40g isn't much of an upgrade. Sure it is more, but you'll probably in the same boat you are in now sooner or later. Why not get something like a 58g or 75g?

You KNOW you'll be wishing you'd have gone bigger, even just a little bit. I went from a 29 to a 58g and I thought it was pretty sufficient for 6 months. I took everything very slow but eventually I reached near my fish limit and wanted to get more stuff. I was very happy with my 58g but I think the 40 breeder would be better than the 29g. You sure run out of space quickly!

8. Travis

You have a point...
    I think I will save up a bit more and go with a 58g :D

9. what about a 70g, its the same footprint as the 58 but taller ( 26" i think but i'm not really sure) I would definatly skip the 29, theres no point in upgrading 10 gallons,...

10. If your gonna do a reef tank anywway, why waste your time with anything smaller than a 75 gallon, especially if you have alot of expectations and goals to reach. You and i both know that if you dont go bigger than what you really need you will keep out growing the tank and you will never be happy. ;) JMO

11. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Trav,

Being that you're such an SPS freak, why not just go for the biggest tank you can afford and fit in the allowed space, so you can have that "forest" of stony corals I'm sure you're dying to have? An increase in water volume by only 10 gallons or so isn't much of an upgrade, IMO...get yourself a nice, 4' long tank, if you can fit in where you want to keep it, like a 75 or so. Personally, I like longer, shorter tanks than tall, narrow ones...I'd have an 8' long tank if space would allow it here ;)

Kirk

12. Travis

Thanks guys, I have alot of options to think about and budget for :)

13. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

i vote for the 58g. especially if your on a budget since most your equipment from the 20g wil work on a 58g.

14. My vote is for a 40b or 58. Since you are still at home, you will have to break it down when you go. It'll definitely be easier to move a smaller tank.
    Sean

15. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

a LFS here in Lafayette has some 40g DRILLED breeder tanks for $100 ea

A pretty good deal for a drilled tank IMO. it's 4ft long, 12 wide and 18 tall I believe...

16. Kirk_M

Good point...

17. Kirk_M

Does sound good...I got a 40 gallon breeder for my sump at petco, 100 bux, not drilled. Mine's 3 feet long though, x 12 x 18.

18. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

maybe you can talk sean into selling his 40 breeder with that sexy tek light ;)

19. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

Yea the 40 breeders are 4' long 12" wide and 13" tall if im right. I rather the short tanks over a tall tank. 40 breeder over a 55 anyday jsut because it is shorter. I'd upgrade to a 40 breeder and save the extra money for more corals . . .

20. Travis

I will probly wait untill the graduation money comes in, I should rack up a few grand :D

I like the cube style tanks rather than the rectangular ones which is why I didn't go with a 20L. A 58g will fit and will look nice in my room and on my budget.

BTW Garry, I didn't even think about that when I took the "Dream Tank" phrase from my signature. I still love my little tank, I just need more room for all the things I want to put in it. :lol: