Gabe and Casie's 200 (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'The Showroom' started by Anonymous, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Hi all! I really love looking though everyone's tank pics and thought I would post ours here as well. Its juuust beginning to look like a reef... it still has a long way to go!

New frags from Dr Mac! Three are already grown down well and I'll be placing them soon!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a new green/blue ricordea. Ignore the protective wall of rubble I built around it till it grows down good. =p
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bonnie and Clyde with eggs.
    [​IMG]

Petey checking them out.
    [​IMG]

Petey and Copper
    [​IMG]

I have a Royal Gramma Basslet too named Waldo, but I only have lame blurry pics of him.

Full tank shot:
    [​IMG]

tank: 96"L x 24"W x 20"Tall
    sump: same
    flow: small Iwaki, 1 Sequence Sting Ray
    return: medium Iwaki

Porthole view.
    [​IMG]

Equipment room.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MH bulbs: four 20k, 250 watt XMs
    ballasts: electronic 250 watt ARO ballasts
    VHOs: four 110 watt VHO actinic 03 blues
    reflector: 2 polished aluminum reflectors, 46.5"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like my blue painter's tape? heh! I swear I'll pick some trim to finish it off eventually! =p
    [​IMG]

We've worked on this tank sooo slow. But its been great fun! And hopefully it will start filling in and looking nice!

There are some ancient pics of the tank construction too in an old RC post here if anyone is interested in that kind of thing. =)

I'll update when I get the frags placed!

2. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

nice tank you got there!, love the behind the scenes pictures, seems like youve done tanks for a long time...why is the equipment manager sitting down on the job though? :lol:

3. slebla240

slebla240 Peppermint Shrimp

like all the pics... good job!

4. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

Wow - great setup and tank. Keep us posted on your progress.

5. southerncoralfarms

southerncoralfarms Black Perc

what is the substrate you have in your tank??

6. Very nice system! How long have you had the large acro on the left? Any idea what it is?

7. melnguy

melnguy Fire Shrimp

Beautiful tank!

8. Nice Tank Casie! ;)

9. Thanks for the kind words! =)

Southerncoralfarms, The bottom of the tank is "tiled" with unfilled travertine limestone squares.

[​IMG]

I was planning on going with these texas shell limestone pavers...

[​IMG]

But for some reason my local home depot got stuck with these rough travertine ones and I got them for such a deal! Plus I got to hand pick the neatest looking ones.

[​IMG]

I've been very happy with it. I used texas holey limestone as base rock in my old 90 gallon many many years ago, so I wasn't worried a bit about using it again. No problem with Ph or Alk at all.

Imperatorfan, the acro on the left is the first sps I ever tried. I guess its about 3 years old. Its been fragged back a few times, and is crazy hardy! In my 90 gallon it grew into a monti cap and they fought for a while...

[​IMG]

But it was slowly losing the battle so when we moved it into the new tank, Gabe did a great job seperating the 2.

[​IMG]

Heres a small colony of it that shows its nice tip color.
    [​IMG]

10. SWEET!!!!!! You guys should be proud of your labor of love.

11. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Nice tank. You are so lucky to have a seperate equipment room.

12. Thanks for the info. Shame it couldn't co-exist with the cap. That looks really fine.

That travertine is an excellent idea for a BB tank. First time I"ve ever seen that.

13. I got some new zoos for my Bday last week! These are the pics from Dr Mac's site.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here they are in my tank, 4 days after I got them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I got this little frag of greens.

[​IMG]

Look what the green came with! =/

[​IMG]

I am searching all my zoos nightly now, but so far so good. Jeeze it would suck if it had eggs!

And last but not least, I got these Saturday from JimmieP. =)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, I just need them to grow! =p

14. A couple more pics I took on the 20th that came out ok.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any suggestions on how to frame out the tank? If you had any idea how many different kinds I moulding I have bought over the last year, you would laugh! But that blue tape up there (to block the glare from the halides) is getting old. =p

15. Wow. I would have never noticed the tape if you wouldn't have pointed it out. That's just awe-inspiring. Can you raise the water level so it's above the bottom of the strips of wood below the doors? make sense?

16. Hey Zash =)

That makes perfect sence, and I wish sooo bad I could do that! But I'm already as high as I can go on the tank level without overflowing on a pump restart.

Really, I screwed up when I gave my hubby the demensions to cut. I didn't consider that the waterline would be so much lower than the top of the tank.

Maybe there is some nice moulding that will fit out there somewhere and I just haven't found it yet. Really, Home Depot and Lowes don't carry that many picture frame mouldings and all the baseboard and crown mouldings they have are waaay to big.

How lame do you think it would look if I taped it off nice and painted a clean black line right along the top of the tank on the acrylic? =p

17. Hey Steve =)

I just wanted to give you a quick thanks for the link and advice! I was pretty frustrated looking for a single piece of trim that would somehow magically fit the width and profile I need.

After getting some new ideas about stacking 2 peices of moulding instead... I see I have lots of options, and I think* I've found a combo that is going to look pretty tight when its all stained up.

Thanks!

Funny how keeping a reef means also learning about pumps, psi, test kits, lighting, wiring, bulbs, light spectrums, plumbing, pvc glue, putty, wave mechanics, carpentry, trim and finishwork, heaters, chillers, dehumidifiers, top off units, evaporation rates, acrylic brands and thier qualities, skimmers, calcium reac....

18. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Any new pics?

19. Very nice, keep the pictures coming. Very nice workmanship. I wish I had a room behind my tank.

20. Aquascaper

Aquascaper Montipora Coral

framing

:D Nice Tank!!! I like the play room ;) that's a room I could speeeeeend some time in. don't be afraid to go a little wild with the trim. I had a like system w/playroom w/tank in the wall, and on the outside room i rocked up the wall and overlapped the edges of the tank with different parts of the rock. there was no tank rim to be seen, and it turned out beautiful. feel free to think outside the reef. :lol:
    Once again its a beaut. :)