Get Off My Lawn!!!

Discussion in 'Large Polyp Stonies' started by clsanchez77, Nov 25, 2017.

1. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Reefkeeping Extremist Global Moderator

In my recent tank reset, I found the perfect place for my new bicolor lobophyllia...except my hidden cup coral (Phyllangia americana) disagreed with the placement and declared war.

[​IMG]Get off my lawn! by Christopher Sanchez, on Flickr

I removed the tentacles and it left quite a sore on the lobo. I will be watching this closely and may do a series of reef dips on the lobo. Obviously, he will need to be moved as well since the cup corals cannot be moved.

I would hate to lose the lobo as I have been looking for this color pattern for a long time.

Redfish, Kujo and BluewaterLa like this.
  2. clsanchez77

Also note two other cup corals on the same rock. These are all original to the rock and are going on 16 months in my system.

Also, the green favia in the foreground was purchased about 14 months ago, never really acclimated and nearly suffered about 75% tissue loss. I relocated him lower in the tank and when I put the tank onto the auto liquid feeder, he started recovery almost immediately. At this point, I would say his tissue is about 90% from where I purchased him.

BluewaterLa likes this.
  3. GPReefer

GPReefer Let the Fin Begin! Administrator LARC Supporter POTM Winner

Shields up!

BluewaterLa and clsanchez77 like this.
  4. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

Get off my lawn 'freelaughing' That is a good way to describe a grumpy coral haha.

Man I did not think that the hidden cups would be that aggressive toward other corals, See Chris I have been wrong at times :eek::rolleyes::D:p

clsanchez77, Humblefish and GPReefer like this.
  5. clsanchez77

Im not 100% sure it was not the other way around. Lobo seems fine and the cup coral is not gone. I have never seen a lobo put to tenticles through its wall before. Oh well. If I wanted a boring hobby, I would have stuck to mollies.

smileyjoe, BluewaterLa and GPReefer like this.
  6. BluewaterLa

The first time I seen a lobo's tentacles in search of a near by neighbor to consume I thought it was some sort of parasite worm.
    Upon closer inspection the white strings looked like intestinal material protruding out and I got worried that something took a bite of the coral.
    There is always wonders to this hobby, unknowns and things to learn.
    Either way thanks for sharing and hopefully your coral gets to cutting the lawn soon and its mood lightens up a bit.

clsanchez77 and GPReefer like this.
  7. Stoned

Stoned Ko-Ko Worm LARC Supporter POTQ Winner

I lost a couple of lobo's due to simular circumstance in the past couple of months. Hope yours turns out better.

8. clsanchez77

I will be watching, thanks. The lobo is one of the corals I did not secure with glue yet. So I can still dip him, relocate him, isolate him, etc.

9. Stoned

I dipped mine in Seachem Reef Dip several times and even cut off the dieing part. Nothing I did stopped it from dieing.

10. clsanchez77

Did you feed yours? I feed my corals at night and I have found this to make a tremendous impact on tissue recover. I have reversed STN on several favias. Something to keep in mind for future incidents. I am hoping the same thing will happen here. So far the lobo is ok. The cup coral however has melted. So I think the lobo was the attacker now...but again, I have never seen a fighting/sweeper tentacle on a lobo before and did not expect it to come out the meat part of the flesh. As @BluewaterLa stated, it looked like some sort of work, at first glance.

So much to learn!

BluewaterLa likes this.
  11. BluewaterLa

I have a small one that was bought at Macna with some silly sweet colorations, this thing has something against its neighbors apparently because it has its I'm gonna eat you tentacles out every night. It's a good thing that nothing is near it and my Clam is several inches away from its reach.
    For now while it is small I will not worry about it though when it grows out I know that it may have its chance at digesting some near by coral tissue.

I can agree that feeding stressed LPS or recessed tissue if the coral will accept foods is a good thing to help recovery. Just having a good level of dissolved organics in the water (nutrients ) has helped mine several times recover from tissue recession due to my tank getting low in the fish poop department from time to time. In fact I monitor my LPS tissue for this exact reason and know when its time to run a little dirty ;)

clsanchez77 likes this.
  12. clsanchez77

Learning more and more each night about the @BluewaterLa household :D

BluewaterLa likes this.
  13. Stoned

Never fed mine. It always had fish dropping poop on it. I have like 18 fish, that's a lot of poop.

BluewaterLa likes this.
  14. Stoned

Gonna have to keep an eye on him. Lol

15. clsanchez77

I'm not there yet, still only at 8, but then I don't "feed the fish" or "feed the corals". Rather my tank is broadcast fed hourly. The results have been impressive. Not just in coral tissue generation but also in fish behavior. The detail in the photo above speaks for itself IMO. Hidden cup corals all over, save for the one ;). Tiny bright red fan worms, those basket star hydroid looking things, etc.

Like Bluewater, I like my tanks a little on the trashy side :D

BluewaterLa likes this.