Green Bubble Algae

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by robharold, Apr 14, 2006.

1. robharold

robharold Montipora Coral

Hello Again,

I did a serach and could not find what I needed. Besides, if I don't ask here I nver move up in the posting food chain. I have a few spots of what I assume to be bubble alage. A round dark green shiny sphere. If this is bubble algae, how do I get rid of it? I do not want this crud spreading.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

VERY CAREFULLY remove it without popping it or get a couple emerald crabs and hope you get lucky. If the bubble pops there is a very good chance you will have an outbreak.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I find the best way is to remove the piece of rock from the tank as you do it. It's nearly impossible for me to pick them off without popping them. As with all algae, low nitrate and low phosphate will keep it in check.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Actually what ive read and came to undersatand about bubble algae especially, is that you usually dont see bubble algae unless you have impecable, almost perfect water quality. So if you do have it, right on. If you dont want it, then removing it can be quite tricky. Like Jeff said, if you do remove it and it pops, you do stand a chance of an outbreak and it spreading all over the tank.

5. robharold

robharold Montipora Coral

Thanks to all. I will keep an eye on it for now. Ther are only about 4 small bubbles so far. Some I can easily remove the rock others not so much. 1 particular problem is that the biggest bubble is on the same rock as my small zoanthids. Can I remove them from the water for long enough to remove the algae without harming them.