Haitian Live Rock

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by clsanchez77, Apr 15, 2018.

1. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Reefkeeping Extremist Global Moderator

I absolutely love this rock and my last tank was built with it. I could not find it anywhere when building my current tank and now I see it is locally available. I am really considering re-doing my rock work now. I would have to cure the rock for quite a few weeks. But I do have some aquascaping ideas in mind. What do you think?

2. smileyjoe

smileyjoe Kole Tang POTM Winner

Go with you heart buddy!!! It's a sign!!'????'

Tupes, BluewaterLa and clsanchez77 like this.
  3. clsanchez77

Last time I did that, I ended up with four kids and a house note -party_54-

Tupes, Ryane7, BluewaterLa and 2 others like this.
  4. smileyjoe

smileyjoe Kole Tang POTM Winner

'*HaHaHA*''*HaHaHA*''*HaHaHA*'

Tupes likes this.
  5. roid reefs

roid reefs Emerald Crab

Got some pictures of it? or a link?

6. clsanchez77

Link, no can't find one. A picture, coming soon :D I picked up what they had, 36 pounds. Going in the rubbermaid now.

roid reefs and smileyjoe like this.
  7. Ryane7 Cleaner Shrimp

8. clsanchez77

Well, here is the score: 36 pounds. I just ordered a Reef Octopus HOB, another GFO reactor and media and a few other assorted items. This will be for curing the new live rock. This will run in my garage for 30-45 days. After that, I will probably setup a 40 gal breeder temporary sometime early June to set the rock the way I want it and take my time transferring corals and what not. Then at some point, maybe in August, I will do a rock swap between the two tanks and start selling off any corals that don't make the cut.

My goal is for something far more open than what I ended up with. The Caribsea rock is just too dense and not very natural looking for me. The material it is made out of does not lend itself to modification either. Oddly, I find nothing will encrust it, not coralline, not worms, not sponge...only vermited snails. Even my aptasia (I really thing corkscrew due to size and lack of prolific breeding) stays off of it.

IMG_4079.jpg

roid reefs and smileyjoe like this.
  9. clsanchez77

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Tupes, GPReefer and roid reefs like this.
  10. roid reefs

roid reefs Emerald Crab

looks very nice! Got me intrigued now.

clsanchez77 likes this.
  11. clsanchez77

My equipment came in from BRS - 1) BRS Mini Media Reactor and 2) Reef Octopus HOB Skimmer. I drilled a few holes and cut a section out of the top. Cutting the section out ruined some of the support, but nothing 2 zip ties could not fix ;). I now have GFO and a skimmer running 24/7 and I can keep the lid on to cut down on evaporation and keep the container stable. I added 10 ml of Seachem Stability to start cycling the rock. This will sit tight through the kids baseball season, about 6 weeks or so.

IMG_4089.jpg IMG_4091.jpg IMG_4092.jpg

BluewaterLa and smileyjoe like this.
  12. clsanchez77

First day's skimmate removal. Seems to be more sediment than organic, but nonetheless I removed about a 1/2 cup of this yellow stuff each day. IMG_4095.jpg

13. clsanchez77

I also removed all the rocks and gave them a good cleaning in the old water and then placed them back in with some new water. I could not help playing aquascape while I had them out. With the Haitian rock, there are so many options, this was just one of many. I don't care for the wall effect but still have more time and more options to play with. Regardless, the shapes are awesome and it would be hard to screw this up. I plan to have the pieces more vertical, I just did not have a way to stabilize them.

The desired effect is a large vertical cave so it may take a few iterations to get there. Im aware that my vision is more suited for a cube tank or something with at least 24 inches in depth. What I want will be really hard to pull off in only 18" depth. I may even setup a temporary 40B so I can play with the aquascape and secure the pieces underwater in a "test" display so I don't disturb mine until I am ready.

IMG_4096.jpg

roid reefs, BluewaterLa and GPReefer like this.
  14. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

Ohh OHH suggestion about the rock tub you are using to cure rock inside.
    did you think about flipping the lid upside down so that the evaporation water would pool up and drip back down inside the tank keeping water from getting low fast ??

Just a thought and what I do with a trash can that has a dome type lid for rock in my garage.
    Have not had to add top off water in almost 8 months.

clsanchez77 likes this.
  15. clsanchez77

I did, but this particular container is not stable with out the lids. In fact I had to use zip ties to secure the end I cut. Also, this lid does not have the convex top, so it would not work anyway.

BluewaterLa likes this.
  16. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

I got ya.
    I do see a small rise in the top, while not the same as a Convex (fancy word) it does offer some rise that would work a bit I suppose.
    But still you are the guy in the driver seat and know first hand what you are working with.
    I do like what you did with the tub though it appears to be planned out for what you needed it for.
    Did you make a blue print for it or did you go Layman and wing it as you went ?? :D

Really nice rock man, the tank is going to look so much different when you get to rescape it, will follow along for sure.

clsanchez77 likes this.
  17. clsanchez77

LOL, I went full layman on this one, even hit a bin sale at Target LOL Lost my damned mind I tell you!

BluewaterLa likes this.
  18. roid reefs

roid reefs Emerald Crab

Take some pictures as you go of these scaping attempts if you can. even if they are fails. I would like to see this. the 150 I'm planning is 28 deep. I'm thinking a large tower on one side with lots of places for critters to hide. lol. Enjoying watching this come together.

How porous is that rock compared to pukani and marco. trying to get a baseline of different kinds. and how easy is it to chip away/drill for rods?

BluewaterLa likes this.
  19. clsanchez77

While the Haitian Rock was an impulse buy, it was the rock I originally wanted for my tank but could not find a few years ago. But I do suspect my current Caribsea rock is contributing to my current GHA issue...at least indirectly, not directly. I have learned a few things about this rock that I do not like. While we generally like our rock to be porous with nooks and crannies, I find this rock to be not porous at all, in fact rather hard and dense, but instead has a very complex network of connected nooks, crannies and voids throughout the rock that makes it feel light and like it is porous. I am suspecting these are now all full of detritus...and there is no way to blow it out. When I do finally perform the rock swap, I will certainly attempt a cleaning on these rocks as a test. I expect to find a good quantity of built up sludge.

The rock has no micro-pores to speak of, so its biological value is limited to the surface. Therefore, no processing of any trapped detritus like you would get with natural rock.

The rock is very hard and not modifiable. The rock is casted from calcium phosphate, not aragonite as marketed. I have scar marks on my concrete patio where I have tried to break this rock open. The rock does not break, but does damage concrete.

The other thing of interest about this rock is that after 2 years, nothing as attached or encrusted this rock. Not coralline, not my corals, not my sponge, nothing but two things...GHA and vermetid snails. The bottom half of my tank still has a very sterile appearance to it that I am not satisfied with, where all the life is on my aquaculture rock up top.

When I do finally perform my rock swap, I will be interested to see what I can blow out of the old rock.

smileyjoe and BluewaterLa like this.
  20. roid reefs

roid reefs Emerald Crab

Are you describing the Haitian or caribsea?