Help me decide on a controller

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by doxyman, Apr 25, 2006.

1. doxyman

doxyman Emerald Crab

2. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

I have been looking at the reefkeeper2 and the lighthouse controller has well. Would be nice to see a good side by side review of the two.

3. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

well if your looking to controll multiple halides or a chiller than i wouldnt go with the lighthouse, but if thats not a problem then i would definately say lighthouse over all others!

4. doxyman

doxyman Emerald Crab

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah Steve, web access is a feature that really interest me. The AC Jr. seems more versitile when it come to web access, the Lighthouse has monitoring via PA's website and the RK2 doesn't offer anything as of now.

Jeff, I didn't know that about the Lighthouse. What's the problem (or limitations) that prevent it from running multiple MH's or chiller? Starting amps?

5. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

I think the limitation with the halides is it cant run 2 halides off the same outlet and the strip only has 6 outlets i believe. Ive also heard that its not recommended to run a chiller. This is just what I have heard about the controller. I have no personal experience with the controller but I have always wanted one. According to premium aquatics it can run a 1/3 HP chiller and each outlet can run 10 amps.

I think the best feature of this controller is the easy to use web interface that requires no extra hardware or software. great deal! wish I would have gotten this instead of an aquacontroller 2

6. southerncoralfarms

southerncoralfarms Black Perc

the reefkeeper 2 seems like a nice controller and it looks nicer than the lighthouse...except it doesn't monitor, nor control ORP.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

got the jr. , it just seems like the most expandable and programmable

8. doxyman

doxyman Emerald Crab

Jeff, what do you dislike about the AC2?

I agree, the RK2 is the best looking of the three but after further reading, seems to offer the fewest features and expandability. Although I will not need ORP control immediately, it would be nice to have the capability in the future.

You're right. After closely comparing the three this became apparent.

9. southerncoralfarms

southerncoralfarms Black Perc

I just wish that aquadyne had direct connect instead of the X-10 modules. The direct connect is so easy to program and use. It's also difficult to use X-10's if you are running components in different circuits. For example..... my lights and aquacontroller III are on the second floor, but the chiller, heaters, ozone, CO2, etc. are all on the first floor. They aren't even in the same distribution panel............ Aquadyne needs to get with the times.

10. doxyman

doxyman Emerald Crab

They do offer several direct connect options now. http://www.neptunesys.com/modules.htm#DC8

I know what you mean about the X-10's and don't trust them. If Neptune didn't offer a direct connect for the Aquacontroller I wouldn't even consider it.