help please

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Anonymous, Jul 14, 2006.

1. my new xenia is expelling this steady stream of red wispy liquid. anyone kno wat it is?

2. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Probably expelling its zooxanthellae...

3. is that good or bad. and its been about 5 hours in the tank its like shriveling up. is all this good or bad or normal?

4. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

how long have you had it?

5. its been in the tank since around noon-ish i believe. and its also acquiring this shriveld up look to it.

6. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

test your water for nitrates/ammonia/nitrites/pH/salinity and post the readings on here...we can help u out better that way

7. salinty is normal. reading at about 1.24. nitrates and nitrites i cant provide seeing as how i havent been able to get a kit yet. th pH isaround 8.2 (dunno the EXACT pH), and the water temp is is about 77 degree's. the nitrates and nitrates should be good, seeing as how all other parameters are ok. the calcium is a bit low at 375ppm, but magnesium is good. ammonia is at .25 and phosphates are undetectable. i think thats about it. ive been adding the stuff for it. the buffer/ pH stabilizer, purple up, strontium & molybdenum, essential ellements, techM, kalk, etc. as needed and today i used invert smorgasbord to feed the coral. trying to give u exactly everythin bout my tank

8. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

how long has your tank been set up? any amount of ammonia is TOXIC. thats more than likely your problem.

oh yea if you have ammonia how are you sure nitrites levels are ok?

i just reread your post, why did you feed it? first thing you should have done was let the coral acclimate for a few weeks. also nothing in your "invert smorgasbord" is gonna benefit xenia in any way. they do not need to be fed.

9. hmm idk, month and a half, two monthes maybe, and it was right above zero. let me check again to make sure. and i figured nitrites would be okay since all the other levels seemed okay. and i fed it invert smogasbord just cuz the dude at the petshop told me it would help them. cut me some slack, this is my first shot at a saltwater tank. im still learning.

10. okay ammonia is somewhere in between zero and 0.25. how do u get ammonia out?

11. Kirk_M

An established, cycled tank shouldn't have any ammonia in it. You probably shouldn't even have any corals in it yet....especially since you can't test for nitrites or nitrates. I hope you're not taking advice on how to keep a reef tank from Nick...because if you are, your first tank is going to be just about as successful as his two to three attempts at it. You may think I'm being harsh here, given that this is your first try, but, you really need to read up on things more, whether on the net or in books, like Fenner's Conscientous Marine Aquarist, Borneman's Aquarium Corals, others by Sprung, Delbeek (spelling?), et. al.

But, to answer your question, you can decrease your ammonia by water changes...frequent ones at this point in time, especially since you have a small tank, and, it's obviously not got enough denitrifying bacteria. Make sure you're using aged saltwater (mixed for 24 hours or more) as some salt mixes have detectable ammonia on initial mixing. If you've got NITRITES, they're just as deadly. Nitrates aren't quite as bad, but, you still don't want much of them. You can maybe even try an ammonia removing filter media -- as for which, I can't make a recommendation, as I've never used one.

BTW, you don't NEED TO ADD ALL THE CRAP YOU'RE DUMPING IN YOUR TANK. You're wasting your money on additives...all you really need to maintain is your alkalinity and your calcium levels...the rest is taken care of by regular water changes. You don't have that many corals yet, so, none of the stuff you are adding is being consumed at any pace. Also, do you have a protein skimmer? If you don't that is the single most important piece of equipment you can have in this hobby. Especially for a beginner. Advanced aquarists may choose to run skimmerless, with the majority of their filtration being done by the rock and a huge refugium/mud sump, but, it's not for me...I'm not a beginner, but, I don't consider myself anywhere near an expert.

12. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

your tank is very young and does not sound like it has be properly cycled. i will cut you some slack since you were grossly misguided. ;) thankfully you are a member of this forum and we should be able to get you on the right track.

first thing we are going to need to know everything about your set up.

how is it set up?
    liverock? how much?
    livesand? how much? was it all set up at once?
    got any fish? how much do you feed?
    whats your filtration? skimmer?
    how often do you do water changes? what % is changed?
    what is your lighting?
    what are the parameters? dont know? find out very soon.
    read any books?

anything thats going on with your tank we need to know.

most important thing. do not add anything else to your tank!

13. well i bought the stuff from nick, so i actually didnt pay a penny. all the stuff came with it. and thanks on he tip about water changes. i didnt kno that u needed to let the water set for 24 hours before adding it. thanks. and do u reccomend a skimmer. im lookin for sumthin cheap. and thank you for all your help. and im not really gettin advice from nick on running the tank, but i did get some good stuff from him. im gonna try to get some stuff tommorow from the pet store. the nitrite and nitrate test kits, and ima try and get sumthin for the ammonia.

14. ill just answer your questions here, typo

how is it set up? its a 10gal with dual flourescents. its got a 10-20 filter on it. anything else, ask me

liverock? how much? about 10-15 pounds

livesand? how much? was it all set up at once? the sand and LR were added at around the same time, the sand about a day before. its just run-o-the mill common sand

got any fish? how much do you feed? no fish at the moment. i did have fish but died of ich upon intering the tank. they were both perculas

whats your filtration? skimmer? no skimmer yet. i have a 10-20 pump running

how often do you do water changes? what % is changed? well ive been kinda lazy with the changes but ill be real sure to do it every week now. and i do about three gallons

what is your lighting? dual flourescents

what are the parameters? dont know? find out very soon. the parameters are most likely near wat they are above

read any books? no books, just wat ive read and been told by other people, and ive read stuff on the internet

anything thats going on with your tank we need to know. umm, theres some cyano, but im not really worried bout it. of course theres wats listed above also.

add wat? corals and fish? im not until i have all my levels n stuff straitened out and everything good, then ima start slow.

15. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

liverock? how much? about 10-15 pounds
    thats a good amount

livesand? how much? was it all set up at once? the sand and LR were added at around the same time, the sand about a day before. its just run-o-the mill common sand
    common sand? as in playsand? if so this will be your biggest headache. im sorry to tell you but it would be in your best interest to rip the tank apart and start over. its a 10 gallon it wont take any more than an hour! get calcarous sand thats intended for marine use. i dont care what you have to do to get it but be sure you do. the stuff you have now is made of silicate and will only cause brown algea blooms.

got any fish? how much do you feed? no fish at the moment. i did have fish but died of ich upon intering the tank. they were both perculas
    dont get anymore.

whats your filtration? skimmer? no skimmer yet. i have a 10-20 pump running
    its a small tank so with enough regular water changes it should be fine especially if you only have a very small fish that are fed sparingly. adult sized small and no perculas are not small adults.

how often do you do water changes? what % is changed? well ive been kinda lazy with the changes but ill be real sure to do it every week now. and i do about three gallons
    that should be fine. what kirk said about letting water mix atleast 24 hours is good advise.

what is your lighting? dual flourescents
    that may be enough for mushrooms but not much else.

what are the parameters? dont know? find out very soon. the parameters are most likely near wat they are above
    once again please get the water tested.

read any books? no books, just wat ive read and been told by other people, and ive read stuff on the internet
    read. read. read. i dont know how old you are but im guessing young, tell your parents to buy you a couple books. are they really gonna deny their child a book? i would hope not. but you gotta read it. any of kirks recomendations should do, i especially like concientious marine aquariust, the new marine aquarium by paletta, reef invertebrates by calfo are good books to choose from.

anything thats going on with your tank we need to know. umm, theres some cyano, but im not really worried bout it. of course theres wats listed above also.
    not worried about cyano? why not? its usually a sign something is wrong.

add wat? corals and fish? im not until i have all my levels n stuff straitened out and everything good, then ima start slow.
    thats the smartest thing youve said. now lets hope your not as stubborn as nick was...

16. Kirk_M

You should be worried that you have cyano. It mean's you've got excess nutrients in the system feeding the bloom... though looking at pictures from your other thread, that doesn't look like cyano to me. It's brown...it looks like diatoms. This is a normal occurance in a tank that is new and cycling. It will die out, and adding a clean up crew once your levels are good will help.

Just one word of advice, Christian, and I only say this based on a few of your responses in your other thread: Don't take a blase' attitude about caring for the animals you put into your tank...it tends to piss some people off here really badly, and, you'll be getting flamed rather than helped.

Everyone makes mistakes, and goes way too fast as a beginner. It's learning from your mistakes that makes you a more capable aquarist. If someone with more lots more experience than you gives you some advice,
    take heed, as odds are, they've been there, done that, and are just trying to save you a lot of heartache and cash.

17. m nowhere near as stubborn as nick was. im trying to do everything u say. my parents are extrmeley stubborn and think im just trying to sap their money by buying all this stuff. i tell em its killing my tank. the only half believe me. my mom said she might take me tommorow. i begged her to. and the fact that im leavin for the beach next thursday isnt helping. i wount be there for the tank, and especially my parents are very moneytight befor going on a trip. story of my life...but were working tommorow, so ill work extra hard and try and work extra hard so theyll go to the store. hopefully they will, but just for preference, wats everything i should buy. this is wat i have so far:

1. salt (im out)
    2. test kits
    3. one of the books you listed
    4. sand

wat else do i need?

18. to kirk_m: i care for my aquatic life very much. im a good listener. i take advice when i hear it and i do as im told. i just dont like people being mean to me. if you knew me youd kno that im quite stubborn and wont take anyone being mean about it. but everything typos done, hes been reasonable in attitude and quite helpful. im doing everything hes tellin me too. but when people get mean about it i tune em out. just how i am.

19. Kirk_M

Christian,

I hope you didn't think that I was being mean to you. Nothing I said was cruel, nor said in a hurtful manner. What I was referring to was responses like what you got from Lacie...I was waiting for that one...some people are rabid about their animals, no matter if it's a coral or a cockroach. I'm not that extreme. I'm not saying that it's wrong or if it's right to be that way. When Nick would come in here and ask for advice, and it was given by several very experienced reefers, he chose to not follow it, feeling it didn't apply to him, and it eventually got really ugly between him and a few others. Just trying to prevent that with you. If you feel that I was mean to you, you're mistaken, and I hope you take whatever attitude you feel you are being given with a grain of salt (no pun intended). BTW, did you go back and read my reply about your water in your other thread. It's really important regarding use of tap vs. ro/di water to mix your salt.

20. shivametimbas

shivametimbas Spiny Star Astraea