Help! Sundial Snail Infestation

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by NormanB, Jun 27, 2006.

1. NormanB

NormanB Bangaii Cardinal

I recently removed a sundial from my zoos that was half the size of a dime. I thought that was the only one. I was wrong! Tonight about an hour after the lights went out I took a flashlight for a look see and much to my horror I discovered dozens of sundials all over my tank!!

What can I do? Do they eat other corals besides zoos? Does anything eat them? Any way to get rid of them?

Thanks

2. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

All the corals in your tank are at risk. However they'll eat the zoanthids first as they tend to favor those.

Two ways I know to get rid of them....

#1. Roll up your sleeves and pick them out one by one...

#2. Remove anything from the tank that they could possibly eat and starve them out.

OK make that 3 :twisted:

#3 Add a large mantis shrimp to your tank

Good luck and once this issue is resolved, I'd seriously ponder where they came from.

To close this post on an upbeat tempo....there is a nerite snail that closely resembles the "sundial" snail..... check out the following link and do some research:

http://www.saltcorner.com/sections/zoo/1024frameset.htm
    Welcome to Saltcorner.

3. NormanB

NormanB Bangaii Cardinal

JLouv do you have a pic or a link to a pic of the nerite snail you mentioned? Also, most people talk about the pointed cover of the sundial if the opercelum sp? is not pointed is that a sure sign that it isn't a sundial?

Thanks

4. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

The pics are in the link I provided you in the post above.

• click on the link
      select mollusks/clams/snails
      scroll down to nerite
      click on the "checkered nerite" link

And the *real* names of the snails in question are "nerita tesselata" for the checkered nerite and "heliacus areola" is the name of the sundial.

5. goodblasson

goodblasson Neon Goby

I was at the LFS last week and saw a sundial snail. After close examination I realized it was a blue legged hermit crab who took up residence in the shell. So I bought him.

6. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

fresh water dip all your zoo colonies. the wonderful thing about sundials is they usually dont travel far from their food.