HOB Skimmer reccommendations

Discussion in 'Filtration, & Other Equipment' started by robharold, Jul 14, 2006.

1. robharold Montipora Coral

What are your opinions on different HOB protein skimmers? I currently have a prizm and not real happy with it. I need info from others experience to help me make a decision.

Thanks

2. The Corallife superskimmers have a hang on back attachement and seem to do a pretty decent job. The only thing I've found, is that they can be a little trickey to fine tune.

3. kwiker

kwiker Neon Goby

One thing I can say is DON'T GET A SEACLONE. I just stared using a Coralife Super Skimmer and it works alot better. I am going to give it another couple of weeks to make up my mind about it. You might want to try the Aqua-C Remora, or the Urchin. I have heard really good things about these skimmers.

4. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

The urchin's an in-sump only model... ;)

5. shivametimbas

shivametimbas Spiny Star Astraea

the jebo skimmer i have works great sittin in my shed. the dirt dobbers love it and the skimmate is thick as mud.

6. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

coralife if your on a budget, aqua-C remora if your not...i dont have any experience with Tunze's HOB, but here good about them

7. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

If you get the Aqua C then I would go with the Pro model. I have the normal remora and IMO it did not skim as much as I would have thought. it was on my 55gl BTY

8. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

Yeah a Regular Remora is only good for somthing less than 40 gallons IME. Go for the Pro.

9. partsman70435

partsman70435 Astrea Snail

h o b skimmers

i've tried several skimmers - including ones mentioned here in this post such as the SeaClone , AquaC Remora , CoraLife SS amd in my opinion the CoraLife SS is by far the best in it's class as far as $ and effeciency is concerned. each has it's little quirks - ecpecially the SeaClone !!!!!!
    SeaClone - no adjustments, small collection cup - hard to clean , not real effecient - noisey ...just not a very good unit . - but cheap !
    the AquaC - different story , easy to set up and doesn't use much space either - pretty effecient also but has no water flow adjustments , and the price !!! ......ouch !!! ( very little micro bubbles though )
    i'm really impressed with the Cora Life SS , price , adjustments , collection cup - with optional drain , ease of cleaning and very effecient also - so much it's almost a pain , especially if you add supplements such as trace .
    skimmer goes litterly nuts - pulling almost immediatly from the tank and ya gotta watch out it doesn't overflow the collection cup and really can dump a lot of micro bubbles for a short time into the tank.
    oh yea - watch out for the little overflow vent - if the return flow line gets restricted it will dump water from the vent so it simply attached a small piece of tubing and directed it to the tank.
    i shut mine down when i dose to be safe.
    drawbacks are the size of the intake pump and return flow box though , i removed my return box and modified the plumbing with a tee'd piece of p.v.c to direct the water and bubble flow.
    in my opinion ........
    #1 CoraLife SS
    #2 AquaC Remora
    #3 hhmmmm - i wouldn't even clasify the SeaClone with this group.
    ...... do wish i would have bought the larger CoraLife instead of the 65.
    to each his own ......just my opinion guys .
    by the way - i donated my old SeaClone to a NewBe wannabe reefer.
    Michael